We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

Hi I have booked a 2 bed apartment for 2 weeks during August and I’m trying to decide what to do re car hire. We normally book a hire car on holiday but last time I visited this area I found driving quite stressful especially parking in places like Marbella and puerto banus. If we got a private transfer (I think it’s about £170) would we manage to get taxis easily to get around? I’m concerned about having enough to do locally without a car. Eg I’m not sure how long it will take us (especially our 7 yr old) to walk to cancelada or if it’s a difficult walk in the heat? When I’ve looked at car hire, to get a car big enough to take 3 cases I think it’s going to cost about £400? Any advice please as I’m going round in circles! Thank you

21 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

Costalita ( have you been before?) is close to Villacana where we used to own.

Personally I would hire a car, but make sure you use one of the two companies that are constantly recommended on here. Even if you just used the car for your transfers and left it parked up most of the time, I think it makes economic sense.

I don't know what you intend to do with your time. The costal bus service is very good but if you want to go inland to places like Benahavis it's difficult.

Parking in Marbella I've found easy at the cp under the passeo with the Dali statues. The entrance is by the Alemada Gardens. If it happens to be your birthday take your passport as it's free. Parking in PB should also be easy in one of the multi storeys.

Re your luggage. We always take to much. This trip our flats had a washing machine. OH put a load in every other day and it quickly dried. So think about taking less. Do you really need all those shoes?

Cancelada had lots of great restaurants. There are footbridges to get over the Carretera. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by saying under no circumstances attempt to cross that road by foot. A few years ago a a family had spent the day on the beach. Their accommodation was on the other side of the road. The grandmother and one of the children went back early. They tried to cross the road and were both killed. The child's name was Lindsay. Money was raised and I think a new bridge was built, dedicated to her.

While at Costalita, walk along the beach, Estepona direction, to Villacana. There's a nice pool and grassy area there with some eateries. It's not gated so just walk in.

You can get in an out of Estepona town usiing the L bus.

England
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

Btw ... you can get the 79 bus all the way to Marbella, but you can't get off till you have crossed the river at the Benahavis Turn off. By then you are virtually in San Ped, which is worth s short visit ,

Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

Thank you trickster that’s really helpful, especially the parking tips and the information about vilacana. We’ve never been to costalita before, we used to stay at Quinta golf many years ago. The problem with a hire car is having one big enough for the 4 of us and even if we reduce luggage, we would definitely need to cases between us which makes the cost around £400 which is why I wondered about doing a transfer and just using taxis and buses?

Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

Are the buses frequent/reliable? It’s hard to tell how far we would need to walk to a bus stop from the map of costalita. I feel like I’m going round in circles! Thank you for your help trickster.

England
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

The buses are very reliable. The 79 runs every half hour but allthough they try and keep to the schedule it doesn't always work. . Another problem is that at peak times the bus get rather full, the time it gets to

Costalita so bear that in mind.

Is your party four adults?

I'm sure your appt will have a washing machine.

You're just going to have to be ruthless on the packing. Four in a medium car with sensible luggage should be no problem.

Btw do not stop off for groceries before you have unloaded. Many cars have been targeted and lost their luggage.

The big supermarkets are on the other side of the highway. Which is a trek on foot. They will deliver but a car will make life so much simpler.

If you book Helle Hollis which is the favoured company as they are reputable, we can give you a 15% off discount card.

You've mentioned the cost of a car but when you factor in taxis, buses etc I firmly believe it's the way to go.

I'm shortly to publish a trip report of our recent visit which will give you some ideas or you can search my back posts for June last year or may 2015. They are called "We came to Estepona.... "

England
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
84 reviews
6. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

Re the location of the bus stops there is one at Villacana and there will be one at costalita. Someone already there will know.

North Wales
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

We have a vw caddy via goldcar. £160 for 2weeks. It would be plenty big enough. We are here now in mijas area but unsure of where to go for quiet nice restaurants hence trying to read recommendations

England
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

Lisa.... I don't know how experienced you are at car rental out of Malaga, but Gold Car, along with Delpaso have just about the worst reputation of all the shysters pretending to be bonafide companies .

£160 for two weeks isn't what you will end up paying.

They don't recognise uk annual excess insurance.

Have you taken out their extra insurance. If not they will forensically examine your car when you return it. They will 100% find some damage, and charge you a ridiculous price.

They work some sort of scam on the fuel.

They do something with the security deposit they have taken off your card.

There are threads with 100s of comments about this on the Malaga Forum.

The only way to avoid being ripped off is to pay their very expensive extra insurance.

I hope it works out for you, I really do.

BTW people say the pick up procedure at the airport can take a long time

Edited: 18 May 2018, 03:02
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

Thank you. I will look into HH. I used gold car in Mallorca many years ago - never again!!

10. Re: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 May 2018, 06:05

Reply to: Costalita holiday booked but advice please about location?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Estepona