We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Development at el Cristo Beach

K H
Level Contributor
23 posts
Development at el Cristo Beach

Hi All,

I will be returning to Estepona on 31 March for a few days staying in Seghers and was wondering if the little, steep access road/path opposite Seghers, that was closed off due to development work, is open again? If anyone is passing by that way I would be grateful if you could let me know thanks as I am trying to plan out shortest walk scenarios with my elderly relative. Another quick query - does anyone know when the development work at the beach will be finished?

54 replies to this topic
Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
607 reviews
1. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

No, sorry, it is still cut off.

You have to walk a little way towards town to the next roundabout and go down that way.

The recent bad weather has stopped work there, but tp be honest they haven't been pulling out all the stops even when the weather was fine.

Best wishes

England
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
85 reviews
2. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

What work are they doing there?

Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
607 reviews
3. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

Well, when you get here, stroll along the main road past the marina and you'll see several (i.e. 20+ I reckon) very large poster boards showing what the plan is.

In fact you can "stroll" along there on Google Street View and see them.

https://goo.gl/5n3pHE

Basically they are building a retaining wall to stop the road slipping gracefully into the sea, and then building a line of bars, shops, viewpoints.

But they are taking a heck of a long time about it.

Best wishes

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
4. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

This beach is beautiful but the coldest water I’ve found around , any ideas why ??

K H
Level Contributor
23 posts
5. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

Many thanks Turista, yes it was the same last year to get to el Cristo, I'll factor longer walking time to visit this beach!

England
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
85 reviews
6. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

That sounds great from a tourists point of view.

Will the new work affect the views of the existing buildings and was there any opposition to the project.

I'm interested in town planning and it's been fascinating seeing Estepona delelop since we started coming in 86..

I think at one time there was a proposal to build A deep water port, capable of taking large cruise ships, which seems to have floundered. Not sure if it was a good idea to be honest.

England
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
85 reviews
7. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

Looked at the street view images. It will be quite a project and will give residents that end of town some good facilities. The properties on the other side of the road are fairly elevated and I'm assuming the new stuff will be kept low so the views won't be blocked.

On ward and upward.

England
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
85 reviews
8. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

Ps any news on the Boulevard project in Calle Lorenzo?

K H
Level Contributor
23 posts
9. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

Hi trickster, from what I understand the development is not supposed to be intrusive in any way regarding the original great views from Avenida del Carmen looking over el Cristo beach which at sunset were quite stunning especially with Gibraltar and Africa in distance. It was a very peaceful place to sit on a bench and enjoy the views. I googled el Cristo beach development and it comes up with a couple of articles by Olive Press and El Sur etc regarding the development and opposition to it.

England
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
85 reviews
10. Re: Development at el Cristo Beach

Thanks KH. are you a resident?

Reply to: Development at el Cristo Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted