We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train

D D
Cicero
Level Contributor
170 posts
13 reviews
Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train

Side trips from Cadiz by train or bus

May 15, 2018, 7:30 AM

I am reposting this in this forum. I did the Province of Cadiz earlier

My husband and I will be staying in Cadiz (old town) the last week of May and first week of June. We are in our 50's, good health and like to walk. Enjoy the beach, exploring old towns/history and watching pretty sunsets with a nice cocktail. I have researched things to do and see in Cadiz; however, would like some recommendations on nearby places to also explore as this is our first time to this part of Spain. We have been to Malaga and surrounding areas before as well as Ronda, Granada, Seville, Tangier, Gibraltar. We plan to take a trip to Jerez but other suggestions in the area would be greatly appreciated. We do not plan to rent a car as we always use public transportation.

Any tips on cafes/restaurants would be appreciated as well.

Kind Regards

7 replies to this topic
Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train

Hi DD,

For side trips, there are boats that go from the port to Rota and El Puerto de Santa Maria.

they go from the port and you can just buy a ticket before you board, no need to book.

www.catamaranbahiacadiz.es/horarios_eng.php

We haven't tried Rota yet.

There are sherry bodegas in Pto de Sta Maria, we visited Gutierrez Colosia and had a tour/tasting in English.

http://www.gutierrezcolosia.com/

There are others (Osbourne seems to be popular) but we haven't tried them.

You can have a wander and get lunch there too.

For getting around there is bay of cadiz transport site:

http://siu.cmtbc.es/es/lineas.php

You can see the bus routes there and associated time tables.

If you are "doing" Jerez and Pto de Sta Maria the the final town in the Sherry Triangle is Sanlucar de Barrameda. They are famous for Manzanilla (like Fino but nicer/more distinctive IMHO).

In fact it is the Feria de Manzanilla when you are there, (sanlucar-de-barrameda.com/feria-de-manzanill…) (annual fair) so you really should try to go and experience it. I think it is one of the best Feria's in Andalucia, not too big so it is overwhelming and not too small so it's uninteresting. We have been quite a few years and just love it. It is most alive in the evenings so getting public transport back might be something to think about but perhaps ask at the tourist office in Cadiz if there are any special buses.

There is also the palace of the Duchess of Medina Sidonia in Sanlucar (http://www.fcmedinasidonia.com/)

Apparently the last Duchess was a "bit of a sort"!

(andalucia.com/province/cadiz/sanlucar/casa-m…)

If you want to experience some other pueblo blancos then Vejer de la Frontera, Arhcos de la Frontera or Medina Sidonia, I think all possible by bus.

I guess you will have already seen on a map but in Cadiz a walk along Playa Victoria is lovely too, with a few chiringuitos en route for refreshment/lunch.

Walks around the sea wall, Alameda/Parque Genoves are also nice in the city and out to the castle/light house though the walkway was damager by storms a couple of months ago, not sure if it's been rebuilt.

For restaurants, La Tabernita is always lovely (and cheap!), Rafa who runs it is very charming, can get busy but you'll soon find a space/barrel. Bar Manteca is on every tourist trail but also quite nice. Meson cumbres mayres is also very good and quite busy (can book a table in the restaurant but the bar is more fun). Restaurant El Faro is an institution, standing at the bar is usually better than the stuffy restaurant. More upmarket is Bar Marmita, bit expensive but inventive tapas.

On a warm evening Taberna El Tío de la Tiza is always buzzing, if a little touristy. There is a local red wine called Garum which is amazingly good and not too expensive and available most places. For cocktails La Colonial put tables out on the Alameda in the evening and very nice/friendly waiter.

The market is open in the evening and quite often fun especially if busy, grab a table and just graze from each stall.

Have fun it is a fantastic city with lots to offer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,035 posts
292 reviews
2. Re: Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train

Ferry over to El Puerto and walk up street opposite ferry exit to Osborne where they do have tours.

bodegas-osborne.com/en/puerto-de-santa-maria/

Take one of the bus services to Arcos de la Frontera if you like to wander some old hilltop streets.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 06:33
D D
Cicero
Level Contributor
170 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train

Many thanks to you both and I will investigate all the suggestion. We are in Seville for the weekend and then take the train to Cadiz on next Monday. So I have a few days to get out plans loosely mapped out. I did not know about the fiera in Sanlucar and will find out more details on when to go while we are in Cadiz.

Thanks for the dining/cocktail suggestions. Sounds like our kind of places. We will be staying in a flat in the old town so some may be fairly close. Kind Regards and be safe in your future travels. DD

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train

Great tips BigAde!

Edited: 15 June 2018, 05:49
South Ayrshire...
9 posts
1 review
5. Re: Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train

Did the road trip last year driving from Malaga staying in Antequerra which was laid back little town with interesting castle. From there we eventually arrived in Cadiz which we loved, Arcos de la Frontera, Vejer de la Frontera were towns we stayed at along the way. Planning another visit Sept from Malaga and definitely staying in Cadiz or near and possibly also Jerez. To make the journey different any interesting places to stay along the way and where should we stay near Jerez for easy access. Any help appreciate or is there somewhere we could stay for access to both Cadiz and Jerez

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,035 posts
292 reviews
6. Re: Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train

The town of El Puerto de Santa Maria is a good base as you have the train station, the ferry across to Cadiz and buses. If based in the old town one can use the trains and Jerez is the next stop or down to Cadiz.

I am often in Arcos where a car is handy but it does have good bus communications with Jerez as well as inland. The bus operator Damas runs a bus between Ubrique and Cadiz with the Arcos to Cadiz sector non stop.

El Puerto tourism

www.turismoelpuerto.com/index.php?setLang=2

South Ayrshire...
9 posts
1 review
7. Re: Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train

Thanks for quick reply and recommendation, yes El Puerto de la Santa Maria sounds ideal for easy access to other towns in the area. We seem to come back to Spain often always a journey staying in little towns or country areas but we have visited many cities Madrid, Seville, Valencia these cities are our winter trips. Thanks again

Reply to: Side trips from Cadiz by bus or train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cadiz
Recent Conversations