We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

Wales
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

Hello,

Can anyone help me; I have had enough of the usual Spanish Holiday. All Sangria, Sky Sports and Full English breakfasts, and am looking for real Spain. Can anyone recommend any quieter resorts in Spain? Preferably coastal but not a necessity, where I won’t see any union jack swimming trunks or tattoos.

I am looking for real Spanish food and culture.

(Hope I don’t sound too much of a snob).

Thanks

Dumper

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,639 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

Dumper:

Come to Malaga. Our city is 100% Spanish, with no British bar. We have great tapas bars, restaurants, plenty of culture, beaches, and probably the bet weather in Spain. Our people are very friendly and most in the tourist industry can speak some English.

Read the top questions in the Malaga forum.

We are proud to be a part of Andalusia!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

Barcelona never to be missed

Malaga no Lager louts

Granada tapas are free with every drink

Ronda just a beaut place

Seville city of Flamenco

Marbella and an easy bus ride from Ronda

www.vueling.com fly from Cardiff to Spain

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com

www.andalucia.com

Edited: 14 March 2012, 23:05
Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

Dumper,

How long is this holiday?

As advised, Malaga the city has beaches which touch it. Very little recognised or visited by those you are trying to avoid. However, I would not be staying for any more than three or four full days. Malaga accesses several places like Cordoba, Granada and Ronda as day trips by public transport, if you want a base. Scores of places in Andalucia, if you are prepared to travel around and travel light enough by whatever transport suits and perhaps stay a couple or three days in each place.

Signed - A. B. I. G. R. Snob

Ireland
Level Contributor
951 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

The real Spain is everywhere and dont be looking for white mantilla claden females who will only speak when spoken to. Neither are there too many males walking with donkeys up mountain paths. Within hours of a "gem" being discovered the tourists flock there in their droves. That comes with the territory. What many refer to as the "Real Spain" went out with Franco. And the Spanish are pining for Franco's return like I need the flu.

I would advise you settle with some low-rise coastal "gem" and enjoy what is now the Real Spain.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

Well there is not real Spain as the country is made up with different cultures which almost makes for several counties rolled into one.

There are Irish bars everywhere, including Malaga, so no escaping them .

The North coast maybe a solution for you. San Sebastian is said to have the best beach in a city location within Europe. The food is some of the best in Spain too.

The North coast is more popular with The Spanish.

Or you can follow the northern coast all the way along to Portugal and you will not find that many Brits in U.J. costumes.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

As my good friend above - it is the Spains.

What is your vision? Over to you, Dumper.

Ireland
Level Contributor
951 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

I think Mr Dumper1 is more confused now than this time yesterday. Let me be positive and suggest Mojacar Playa Costa Almeria as it is a low rise resort which is not as busy as most resorts on the Costas. Furthermore, it is low rise. Vera Aquapark is a short bus journey distant. Mojacar Pueblo which is only two miles distant is a beautiful town perched on top of a small mountain and has panoramic views for miles around. There is a choice of several markets including Vera, Garrucha and Carboneras. Beaches in Mojacar Playa are excellent and clean. Walks are on the level by the beaches. Eating out is inexpensive with a choice of Argentinian, Colombian, French, Italian, Asian cuisine. You can get Brit food also. Dumper have a great holiday.

Great Avatar Dumper, looks like a day when Wales beat Ireland in Cardiff.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 17:54
Wales
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

Thank you all very much for all your help. We were going for a week but we realised we won't see much in a week. We are opting for 10 days in a small villa or bungalow with a private pool and somewhere off the coast in one of the mountain villages but within an hour or two of a beach. You quite rightly guessed Leprosy I am a rugby fan and over the last few years me and the wife have gone on holidays with a big group of friends who follow the Wales matches, including Ireland, quite a few times which is why we fancy somewhere totally the opposite of what we usually do. (The pic is actually of me very very tired after completing last years London Marathon in an extrodinary slow time).

Thanks again but I will be more than grateful for any more contributions

dumper

9. Re: The Real Spain, holiday destination tips please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:16