We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ludwigshafen

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Ludwigshafen

how do I get to Ludwigshafen from Frankfurt by train.

how far is it and how much. first time in germany

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ludwigshafen

Ludwigshafen and Mannheim are twin cities. As a matter of fact Ludwigshafen started out as a suburb of Mannheim and didn't become an independant city until the 20th century.

Check www.bahn.de from "FRA airport" to Mannheim for fares and schedules. From outside the Mannheim train station you can catch several trams to Ludwigshafen, depending on where exactly you need to go. For trams check www.vrn.de

From FRA airport to Mannheim journey time is just under 40 minutes. So it's not very far.

PS: I love Kuala Lumpur! One of my favorite destinantions in the world!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ludwigshafen

Thanks for the info, now I need to decide whether to stay the nite in Frankfurt or go directly to Ludwigshafen. I'll be arriving Sunday 2 March.

I have a morning meeting there the next morning.

Actually this is my second time but the first time I only stayed at the airport (Frankfurt).

Hope I get to visit some sights in Frankfurt. Regards.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,040 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ludwigshafen

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Mannheim

You can also query for stops or even addresses in Luwigshafen.

I would stay however in Mannheim rather than in Ludwigshafen.

http://www.tourist-mannheim.de/

In Mannheim you could buy a 24 hours ticket for 4-5 VRN zones (EUR 8,50). With this ticket you could visit either Heidelberg or Speyer. The two tourist highlights of this region.

heidelberg-marketing.de/content/index_eng.ht…

www.speyer.de/de/tourist/sehenswert…

This ticket would also cover the trip to Ludwigshafen the next morning (closer - but of course also covered by the 4-5 zones ticket, single ticket inside Mannheim/Ludwigshafen is EUR 2,10).

VRN tickets cover

- regional trains (RB, RE)

- S-Bahn

- trams

rnv-online.de/rnvGips/RNV/rnv-online.de/Lini…

- buses

network maps

vrn.de/imperia/…mannheim_2.pdf

vrn.de/imperia/…ludwigshafen_2.pdf

In case your meeting is with BASF please notice that the BASF plant is damn huge with many gates.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ludwigshafen

Thanks for the links.

Yes, I have a meeting with BASF and I need to ask them the exact route and gates to use.

I will be staying in Holiday Inn Mannheim, hope it is near enough to the meeting place.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ludwigshafen

No, the Mannheim Holiday Inn is not close to BASF but it's just around 100m or so to the next tram stop and it's probably around 15-20mins to BASF by tram.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ludwigshafen

But you will love the area of the Mannheim Holiday Inn. Plenty of shopping, restaurants, bars all within walking distance. It's pretty much in the heart of that town.

And in case you care the muesum of modern art (Kunsthalle) is just two blocks away as well.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ludwigshafen

Dear Guys,

Just got back from Lugwigshafen yesterday. The Holiday Inn Mannheim, as you advised, the hotel is near to many shops. I also made a trip to Heidelberg and went ot the castle on the hill. Overall the trip was excellent and cold. The only setback was that all the shops were closed on Sunday.

8. Re: Ludwigshafen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Ludwigshafen
Recent Conversations