We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Frankfurt to Cologne

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Frankfurt to Cologne

Hello,

I have read previous posts in regards to this topic, I just wanted to get some some facts straight.

It is recommended to take the slower which is more scenic route that goes throught the Middle Rhine Valley then on the way back from Cologne to Frankfurt take the fast highspeed link.

I have looked at DB Bahn timetable, and I am assumming the Slower route people referred to from Frankturt to Cologne is the one taking approx. 2:30? with stops or no stops? and faster route would be the one taking approx. 1:10?

Since will be spending one day in Cologne, we wanted to maximaze the time there. So, is the route with the beautiful scenery really a "must do"? Would you be able to get off if taking transfers/stops to really enjoy the scenery?

Thank you in advance for your honest opinions.

Anyelikk

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
35,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Frankfurt to Cologne

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Frankfurt(Main)Hbf (for the main train station)

Start: FRA FrankfurtAirport (for the airport)

Destination: Köln Hbf (Cologne main train station)

to enforce the Rhine valley route add Koblenz as a stopover

Via: Koblenz Hbf

Upper Middle Rhine Valley

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de

> So, is the route with the beautiful scenery really a "must do"?

Depends on the interests. Cologne Cathedral and the Upper Middle Rhine Valley are both UNESCO world heritage sites.

> Would you be able to get off if taking transfers/stops to really enjoy the scenery?

You can enjoy the scenery also from the train. If you travel on a rail pass or a standard fare ticket you can do stopovers en route. The faster trains don't stop however between Bingen and Koblenz which is the most scenic part. For one of the cute medieval towns there you have to change on this part to local trains.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Frankfurt to Cologne

Thank You Abalada, for the extensive information you have provided. But I am afraid I might have to change my plans, I did not realized that the day that we were thinking of traveling to Cologne is on a Monday (most of the museums we wanted to see are closed on Mondays) So we decided to take a different route. Perhaps you might want have a good opinion on this.

We are thinking of spending the whole day on the Rhine. Take the train to Koblenz and bike to Bingen(stoping on the way to see castles etc etc) then take the train back to Frankfurt from Bingen.

The dilemma I am having is the bicycle problem, I am not sure where to rent them and having problems understanding train tickets options. I am considering in renting the bicycles in Koblenz doing the 65 kilometer biking trip to Bingen then take the train tack to Koblenz to return the bicycles then train from Koblenz to Frankfurt. But I am sure not sure if this is a good idea, what do you think?

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Frankfurt to Cologne

I am facing a similar dilemma. Which is faster: (i) train, or (ii) a limousine? I plan on leaving Frankfurt on a week day around 6pm, so rush hour traffic may or may not be a consideration in your recommendation.

Thanks for your replies.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Frankfurt to Cologne

The Rhine gorge is not pleasant for a bike tour. The bike trail runs along the busy highway with heavy traffic for most of the way - there isn't much space between the river bank and the steep hillside where they had to squeeze in the road and the railway tracks. It is a separate bike lane along the road but you still have the cars and trucks passing, the exhaust and the noise.

If you want to include some exercise in your trip, you're probably better off if you a) don't go all the way to Koblenz (three times the same train route because of the bikes?!) and b) include a hike, for example to the top of Loreley rock or a part of Rheinsteig trail: http://www.rheinsteig.de/en/

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Frankfurt to Cologne

Homard, with the good link I would definately recommend taking the train as it is much cheaper, and probably faster. The ICE train is rather comfortable as well, so I wouldnt take the risk of heavy traffic (as the motorway around Cologne can be realy busy. I think the A3 is one the busiest motorways in Germany)

6. Re: Train from Frankfurt to Cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 09:20
7. Re: Train from Frankfurt to Cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 19:16