We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast in Hamburg

Which Hamburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cape town
Level Contributor
250 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast in Hamburg

Hi all

we are spending 2 nights in Hamburg in May and are staying at the Atlantic Kempinski. The hotel breakfast is very expensive so we didn't book it. Does anyone know of a nice breakfast place - cafe, diner, bistro etc near the hotel?

many thanks

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast in Hamburg

Nearby Lange Reihe street has lots of places that serve breakfast. The a.mora bistro is located across the street from the Atlantic right by the Alster lake. This should be a great place if it is warm and sunny (you might be lucky in may).

A cheaper option would be the Schweinske Restaurant chain. They have a big restaurant inside the nearby Central Station and their breakfast is good value.

cape town
Level Contributor
250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast in Hamburg

Brilliant efp - thank you

the mighty Euro to the humble South African Rand does not make for an extravagant trip so its a challenge to find good deals on a budget

Can you help me with another question - our second day there is my birthday, and I thought we (4 people) could go to Bar Hamburg behind our hotel for a drink and then somewhere for dinner. But where? Somewhere nice, maybe an unusual or interesting venue - old warehouse, harbour view, good decor? BUT, the price needs to be reasonable. I thought we should eat German food whilst we are in Germany! Do you have any suggestions - it would be great if it was in walking disctance of the hotel but it doesn't have to be.

I was reading about a restaurant called Fillet of Soul - any good?

thanks again

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast in Hamburg

I don't know the Fillet of Soul - it gets good reviews though. I don't know what a reasonable price could mean to you, so recommending a restaurant is difficult. Lots of choices and Hamburgs restaurants tend to be on the expensive side by german standards. If you give my a price range for a main course I might be able to come up with a good recommendation.

However, one place I can recommend for dinner right now is the Oberhafenkantine. http://www.oberhafenkantine-hamburg.de/ (In german only, but with pictures and a video). It is a very small and traditional restaurant in an old(and leaning) house in the port area. For some reasons it gets mixed reviews on TA but I' ve been there a couple of times recently and it was always great. I take friends from out of town there and other reviews are better . Food is traditional food (e.g Labskaus) from northern Germany at reasonable prices. It is a good idea to reserve a table there as it doesn't take many people to fill it.

cape town
Level Contributor
250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast in Hamburg

Hi

Not sure if this is what we are looking for, sorry hard to explain - maybe the food does not need to be Traditional German, just European, ie not Thai or Indian

Looking for a little glamour - its a landmark birthday!

Would 12-17 euros be way too low for a main course? I know Hamburg is expensive and I don't want to be short sighted and miss an amazing restaurant for a few Euros more

thanks again for the help

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast in Hamburg

12 -17 Euros for a meal (no drinks) should be enough for average restaurants - it's usually the drinks that make a meal expensive.

However the a little more special places cost a few euros more, somewhere aorund 20 Euro (of course that depends on what you are eating - pasta might be cheaper, a good steak will be more). Two places within the same price range as the Fillet of Soul that might be of interest.

- Bullerei: Very trendy restaurant run by Germany's best known TV cook. Near Sternschanze station, 2 stops away from Hauptbahnhof (central station)

http://bullerei.de/

- Fischereihafenrestaurant: (around 20 -25 euros)

Very good restaurant with a nice view of the harbour.

http://www.fischereihafenrestaurant.de/

cape town
Level Contributor
250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast in Hamburg

Thanks so much for your help- checking these out right now!

Calgary
Level Contributor
476 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast in Hamburg

Lange Reihe is indeed a great place for finding an alternative to a hotel breakfast. My favourite place is Cafe Gnosa which has great atmosphere:

http://www.gnosa.de/indexEng.html

cape town
Level Contributor
250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast in Hamburg

Thank you - we have 2 mornings in Hamburg - one of them is the start of my birthday - which would you think is more "special"

Any ideas for dinner?

9. Re: Breakfast in Hamburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2013, 19:24