We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which side of Berlin to stay?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
which side of Berlin to stay?

I am going to Berlin in August with my family and I would like to know which side of Berlin is better?

thanks

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,223 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which side of Berlin to stay?

The inside :)

Seriously, though - Berlin is enormous. Are you talking about the western part v eastern part? Most of the museums and important buildings are in the eastern part, which has a number of different 'quarters' - Mitte is often the first choice of visitors, some prefer Prenzlauer Berg, which has 'trendier' or even 'yuppy' areas. Friedrichshain and east Kreuzberg are often considered to be 'funkier' or 'a bit gritty', but much of both parts are gradually becoming more 'gentrified'

Other people might prefer the area around and west of Bahnhof Zoo, in the western part of the city, especially Savignyplatz or near the Kaiser Wilhelms Gedächtniskirche, where there are a fair few upmarket hotels and the posh department stores.

We always suggest that you get a good guidebook and do a bit of research. Most areas have their own charm - some are a bit scruffier than others, but can often be more fun (and less expensive).

Over to you!

(Sorry about all the 'speech marks' :)

Edited: 03 March 2014, 22:52
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which side of Berlin to stay?

I find the east much better, Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg are my favorites. But I heard the former west is getting a revival again now :)

It depends what you are looking for, and you mention nothing about your preferences.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which side of Berlin to stay?

thank you.

yes I was talking about the west versus the east. Maybe not the right choice of words? :)

I am looking at hotels close to restaurants and transport (hop on hop off bus).....

Edited: 04 March 2014, 11:06
New York
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which side of Berlin to stay?

I like the west (Ku damm) but all are nice, interesting. All are close to transportation. Look at streetview at your prospective hotel address. Are there bars and restaurants close by? I think museums are important during the day. At night, you want to walk to dinner and look in shop windows and see other prople strolling around - not monuments and museums. Sorry for typos.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which side of Berlin to stay?

Staying in Mitte you can walk around, look in shop windows and people-watch too!. And you don't need to use public-transport so much if you stay there as more sights are within walking distance of each other. It has to be said that for shopping the Kudamm area is very good/busy.

There's a bit of a divide among regulars on the Berlin forum, some (like Rob) prefer the west, some (like me) prefer east of Tiergarten (Mitte/Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichshain). Pericoloso has already explained a bit about the differences

My first visit post- "Fall of the Wall" in 1999 (when Potsdamer Platz was still a major building site) we stayed near Zoo station, in 2005 we stayed in Mitte, on Novalisstrasse, and were "converted" to City-Ost. Some areas like Oranienburger Strasse are dedicated almost exclusively to places to eat, Kollwitzplatz area of Prenzlauer Berg also has loads of restaurants and it is a lovely neighbourhood just to wander round but it's not as central for sightseeing, ie it's a short U_Bahn ride or tram journey rather than an easy walk

Instead of HOHO bus you might consider just using the 100 and 200 buses, have a look at the "Top Questions" on the top right

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which side of Berlin to stay?

>At night, you want to walk to dinner and look in shop windows and see other prople strolling around - not monuments and museums<

Rob, I wonder where you've stayed in the East where there was no dinner and no shops and no people? Were you camping out on the Museumsinsel? ;-)

Seriously now. Yastidis, your first step now should be to buy a good guide book to Berlin. The full Rough Guide is the best, but even the Pocket Rough Guide is good, and will give you a good idea of what there is to do and see. Once you have a basic list of "musts" you can then start making decisions about areas and hotels, and you can come back here for more specific advice.

If you are coming to Berlin for a short, first visit I would guess that you want to stay where you will be reasonably close, perhaps even able to walk, to some or most of the things you're likely to want to see and do. Of course you can get to anywhere you want to go by Berlin's efficient public transport, but travelling takes up precious time; so for most visitors, that means Mitte, and I would narrow that down to the Hackescher Markt and Rosenthaler Platz areas.

Travelling with your family, you might be most comfortable staying in apartment, but still appreciate the convenience of a hotel, with a 24-hour reception. At Hackescher Markt there is one of the Adina Apartment hotels; at Rosenthaler Platz there is the Circus, which has apartments as well as ordinary hotel rooms. In either you would have more space to move around, and you'd have a kitchen where you could prepare your own breakfast.

adina.eu/adina-apartment-hotel-berlin-hackes…

www.circus-berlin.de/circus_hotel_berlin.html

7. Re: which side of Berlin to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 16:21