We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catholic cemeteries in former East Berlin?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
B R
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Catholic cemeteries in former East Berlin?

I'm making my first trip to Berlin next month, and would like to find the grave of my great-grandmother, who died in 1920, just before the rest of the family moved to the U.S. Unfortunately, few people in my family remember much that can point me in the right direction. We know that the family lived on Curvystrasse in what is now West Berlin, and that my great-grandmother was Catholic and was buried in East Berlin (because family who visited in the 1960s were unable to cross to visit).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what cemeteries might be most likely?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Catholic cemeteries in former East Berlin?

Unless your grandmother was some kind of celebrity it's very unlikely that the grave still exists because usually graves are cleared after 25 years.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catholic cemeteries in former East Berlin?

There are the two St. Hedwig cemeteries which are in former East Berlin, one in MItte and the other in Weißensee (Smetanastr. 36). Since St. Hedwig is the central diocese of Berlin, it might be it.

Here are all contact details, but while the first three (the two Sz. Hedwigs and one St. Pius) are in former East Berlin, the ones following in the list are in former West Berlin

erzbistumberlin.de/erzbistum/…

3. Re: Catholic cemeteries in former East Berlin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 02:17