We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

We are looking for grocery and department stores in Berlin.

We will have a kitchenette and want to find somewhere to find food and a variety of other things.

Also, we love to look at food and home items in new cities we visit.

In addition, we will travel light to start.

However, we have purchased bags to take home things we collect along the way (books, clothes - think jackets, not designer wear, food, etc). So, a department with low cost bags and home goods is desirable.

We intend to stay near the central train station.

We are willing to go elsewhere for a good large grocery or department store.

If there is a large grocery with a website for online shopping (to get an idea of what they have) we will appreciate the link.

Thanks for any advice or info.

1. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 September 2011, 17:50
Edited: 14 September 2011, 17:50
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

It sounds as though you've already booked your accommodation, but if you haven't, I would suggest you stay elsewhere than near the Hauptbahnhof, particularly if you want to be near good shopping. It's still an undeveloped, rather desolate and unattractive area, and its only real advantage is good transport links, which you'd have near any of the main stations.

But if you have already booked, an excellent large department store, the Galeria Kaufhof, at Alexanderplatz, is pretty easily reachable by S-bahn, three stops away. Its big attraction (for me and perhaps for you) is its wonderful food department.

galeria-kaufhof.de/sales/unternehmen/filiale…

The Alexa shopping centre around the corner is probably a more likely place for the kind of basic clothes shopping you want to do.

http://www.alexacentre.com/

Edited: 14 September 2011, 17:51
WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

Alabastron,

Thanks, for the store info.

Staying near the central train station looked convenient for arriving on the train and walking to a hotel with bags.

However, "an undeveloped, rather desolate and unattractive area' is never desirable.

We look for clean, safe, scenic areas with good transport links and food/bakeries/grocery stores nearby.

Is the Hackescher Markt area preferred for a hotel?

Is the Checkpoint Charlie area preferred for a hotel?

Thanks for the info

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

I personally would say go for Hackescher Markt area. Checkpoint Charlie area is less attractive, lots of office buildings, less going on in the evening. To get to Hackescher Markt from Hauptbahnhof (central station) is easy: change to S-Bahn line and take S-Bahn two stops (direction Alexanderplatz)

There are supermarkets and small food shops all over the city. The supermarkets in the main stations have the advantage that they are also open on Sundays. I quite often use the Edeka at Friedrichstrasse station (often when I come in by train from the airport for the first basics like milk). It's not huge but has everything you would need in the way of food and prices are not hiked because it's in the station. The small neighbourhood food shops often open Sundays too, as do bakeries. There's an Edeka near Hackescher Markt too (not sure if open Sundays)

Galeria Kaufhof food department has more deli/gourmet type stuff. The most amazing food department though is in KadeWe department store (in "West" Berlin. http://www.kadewe.de/en

Both have homeware departments too obviously (but not the cheapest).

Kaisers is a supermarket chain with branches all over the city. Lidl, Netto and Aldi are discount chains, Netto in particular has a very good grocery selection. All the discounters also have some special offers of housewares etc (they change weekly)

Edited: 14 September 2011, 18:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

I agree with Lynda: I think you'd be much happier in the Hackescher Markt area. The Galeria Kaufhof is easy walking distance from there. There is a good supermarket in Rosenthaler Strasse for your daily food needs, an excellent bakery up and across the street from it; and an abundant choice of restaurants and cafes.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,721 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

>However, "an undeveloped, rather desolate and unattractive area' is never desirable.

The central station is in a part of the city first destroyed in the war and then never again redeveloped because the Wall ran right through the area.

Only now did they start developing it which means you will be surrounded by building sites if you stay there.

Hackescher Markt, Alexanderplatz etc are all good suggestions - basically anywhere along the main East-West S-Bahn trunk.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

I wouldn't say Hack. Markt is "easy walking distance" from Kaufhof at Alexanderplatz if you have bags full of groceries. Rather jump on the tram or the S-Bahn for one stop. There's also a pretty wonderful Asia foods market at Hack. Markt near the tram stop behind the S-Bahn station, and a farmers' market in the square on Thursdays and Saturdays.

Also the Edeka and the Rossmann Drugstore right across the street from the Hackesche Höfe, but they tend to be rather small and cramped.

While Kaufhof at Alex has top quality, gourmet products and unusual items, it's comparitively expensive. For the more mundane groceries and fresh veggies and fruit at a more reasonable price, there's a big Reichelt supermarkt in the basement of the previously-mentioned Alexa shopping mall.

Kaufhof is also the place to start for clothing and housewares, and C&A also has a big outlet at Alex. Most of Berlin's top retail is represented at the Alexa mall. There are also quite a few interesting smaller shops on Oranienburger Strasse around the corner from Hack. Markt.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

I agree with Bill about about Galeria Kaufhof's supermarket being expensive, certainly the fresh milk is quite a bit more than other supermarkets (whereas Edeka at Friedrichstrasse station is pretty much on lines of prices in other supermarkets). Also agree that it's not easy walking distance with heavy bags!

There's a good Netto in the smaller Rathauspassagen shopping centre which is the other side of the railway line from Kaufhof etc beyond the cinema (towards the Town Hall/Rathaus, hence the name).

C&A would definitely be first stop for a thick jacket at a reasonable price. H&M also good, I assume there's a branch in Alexa?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

>I wouldn't say Hack. Markt is "easy walking distance" from Kaufhof at Alexanderplatz if you have bags full of groceries. <

Of course not, but the Kaufhof isn't where most people would choose to do their daily grocery shopping. For "bags full" shopping the Edeka supermarket (not small and cramped, and perfectly adequate, at least by my standards) in Rosenthaler Strasse, which I mentioned earlier - though not by name since I couldn't remember it - is for daily grocery shopping if you're staying near Hackescher Markt. But the Kaufhof is an easy walk. I've made it back to HM with my delectables from the deli counter in a rucksack and with no trouble, in about 10 minutes.

WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Stores / Department Stores ??

Thanks, for all the info on grocery/department stores.

Now, I will rethink the hotel.

Thanks, again.