We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Berlin

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
2 Days in Berlin

Hi all,

I will be spending 2 days and 2 nights in Berlin. I have 4 days to spend in Germany and I plan on spending 2 days in Berlin and 2 days in Munich. I know most of you will say that's not enough time. But I have very limited vacation day.

So my question is, is it possible to visit Potsdam in half a day? Maybe I can go there early and come back to Berlin by the afternoon...or go there in the afternoon and come back in the evenning.

Better yet, should I even think about Potsdam if I only have 2 days? I'm very curious about what's essentially Germany's Versaille.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days in Berlin

Sorry, you know the answer yourself: you're going to have to let one of the two cities - either Munich or Berlin - go, because it makes no sense to go to a place only in order to say that you've been there.

Could Postdam be done in 5-6 hours (including getting there and back)? It could be even done in less, depending on what you're planning to do there. If you'd take a chauffeur from Berlin straight to the Gardens, and plan to be only there, you could be there for less than half a day, but it is obviously very expensive. But then, no palaces and castles, or Dutch Quarter, etc.

I know this is not the answer you've been expecting. It also implies that you'll have only one extra day to Berlin - this is really little time... Just out of curiousity, how did you plan to use this day and a half if you'll go to Berlin?

Dallas
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days in Berlin

Hi,

Thanks for your honest opinion. Since I'll be arriving on a Thursday and the guidebook said most museums stay open late that day. I arrive to Berlin at about 9:00 Thursday morning in the main train station. I plan on taking one of the walking tour. By 12:00 I want to take public transportation to Potsdam to see San Souci. I hope to stay there and be back in Berlin by 18:30. Then I will visit the Paragone museum and maybe one other museum. I will climb up The Reichstag if I still have time. Later in the night, I hope experience a bit of Berlin's night life. I haven't plan my second day in Berlin yet.

I'm not visiting two cities just to say I've been there. This is my first trip in Europe and I want to see as much as I can. I can't decide between Berlin and Munich. So I just thought I can spend 2 days in each.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days in Berlin

If this is your first trip to Europe than you might want to figure in just a touch of fatigue and jetlag into your plans. Also, have you checked the times for most of the walking tours? The majority of them start around 10-10:30 and last 3-4 hours. Or you could do one of them that goes to Potsdam, which lasts 6 hours and then see Berlin in the evening. Once you get to Berlin, you will wish you were staying there longer as there is so much to see and it is just a cool city. You could also spend a day going to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp or doing a 3rd Reich tour, or one of the many tours that are being done to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of the "fall of the wall". Here is a website listing those events for the whole year.

mauerfall09.de/en/…

Have you figured in your time to go from Berlin to Munich? Were you flying or taking a train? This uses up a really good chunk of your sightseeing day. Truly, your time will be much better spent by staying in one place. You know, you can always come back to Germany and see the rest of the country. Flights are getting cheaper and cheaper lately.

Anyway, that is just my humble opinion. I don't think you realize how tired you will be your first night or your 2nd night due to the time difference of what - 8 hours?

Dallas
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days in Berlin

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will travel to Munich by taking an overnight. I leave at about 22:00 from Berlin and arrive at about 7:00 in Munich the next day. As for the concern with jet lag and time difference, it's very true. However, I'm not arriving directly into Germany. By the time I'm in Germany, I would have spend about 1 week in Europe already. Also I arrive to Berlin by overnight train from Vienna.

I've been known to be extra energetic when I'm on vacation! I took a roadtrip in America where I stayed one night in each place. I have to do all the driving(about 3 to 4 hour a day). I figure since I'm not doing any driving in Europe, I should have more energy.

Berlin is an exciting city, that's why I'm very interested in going there. Before I read about it in guidebook, I only want to visit Munich (plan on spending 4 days in Munich). I (like most people) think that the images in Bavaria is typical 'German.' I now know it's not true! I like the charm in Munich and the excitement in Berlin.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
24 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Days in Berlin

Maybe I'm prejudiced but Berlin seems to be worth your full stay in Germany - there is so much to see and so much atmosphere. Not only that, but the Berliners have a special character, which you will appreciate if you stay there longer!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Days in Berlin

I spent a day and a half in Berlin a few weeks ago - and loved it. It was very cold and damp, but people are very warm and welcoming. The walking tour that meeting at the Brandenburg Tor is terrific (and free, just tip at the end). You can then see if there's anything you want to see more of.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Days in Berlin

I recommend Insider Tours for your trip to Berlin, though there are several others to choose from. I have taken 3 tours with them and found them to be not only extremely informative, but entertaining as well. We were never bored!

http://www.insidertour.com/

http://www.berlinwalks.de/

http://www.brewersberlintours.com/tours.html

8. Re: 2 Days in Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 16:32