We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on travel planning

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
241 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Need help on travel planning

Very unexpectedly we learned that my husband has to take a business trip to Munich. He hates travelling so I'm going along and we're going to make it a pleasure as well as business trip. This is happening Oct 10 so I need help planning what we should do. Airplane tickets are being purchased today round trip to Munich. We will be arriving Tues Oct 10 and returning to the US on October 17. He needs to be in Munich (well actually Germering for meetings on Monday October 15 and possibly the 16th). Client has advised us to stay in Germering on Sunday night. Since he might have to go back on the 16th that might mean being stuck there two nights. Do we really need to stay there?

From what I can gather there is a huge pharmaceutical conference in Munich on Oct 10 through the week and hotels seem pricey. We were thinking with the jet lag maybe just jump on a train and continue on to Salzburg for a day or two, then somehow see some castles and whatever else and make it back to Munich Saturday or Sunday for sightseeing. We will almost certainly have Tuesday available too.

So Questions:

1) Suggested itinerary keeping in mind that we will need to pay for almost everything out of pocket. We have never been to Germany before but have been to Switzerland and love the Alps. If I can get husband to something like that he'd love it. We also enjoy museums and historical buildings.

2) Suggestions for me for Tuesday. I want to go to Dachau but maybe that's best with husband.

3) Suggested guide books and anything I need to quickly accumulate before going to have with us.

4) Wherever we'll be on the 11th something slightly special to do because its my husbands birthday.

General advice.

Much thanks

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
241 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help on travel planning

Revision to above. I need suggestions for me for Monday since that's when husband will definitely be working. Having done a bit more research am wondering if the following plan makes any sense.

Travel directly from airport to Sazburg. Stay in Salzburg until Oct 13. Travel to Fussen stay overnight somewhere travel back to Munich on the 14th and spend the last days in Munich. Thoughts?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on travel planning

I think your plan to head off to Salzburg isn't bad. But how jet-lagged will you be? It will still take you 45 minutes to get to Munich central station, and then about 2 hours to get to Salzburg, so the question mainly is: Do you feel up to it?

You can get to Salzburg using the "Bayern Ticket", but then you can only use local trains, which are a bit slower. There also is a connection with ALEX, that's an Austrian train that's like the ICE, but it will cost a lot more. For details, see http://www.bahn.de

This website here will tell you where all the castles are: …bayern.de/deutsch/schloss/index.htm

Sometimes, these places can be a little hard to reach by public transport.

Herrenchiemsee and Frauenchiemsee are halfway between Munich and Salzburg.

Do you want to see the Eagle's Nest? That's at Berchtesgaden. You can also see a salt mine at Berchtesgaden, which is very nice I think, because you'll get "miners clothes" which makes for a good photo.

To get to Dachau, use the address "Alte Römerstr. 75" and the trip planner on http://www.mvv-muenchen.de (You need a bus, because it's too far to walk from the S-Bahn. I once did it, and it took me 45 minutes.) ... They have guided tours which I can recommend. You can see the times on http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de

Oh, and on your day alone, how about some shopping? Or window shopping? If you want to see some seriously expensive stuff, try Oberpollinger (in the pedestrian area, on the left-hand side when you walk from Karlsplatz/Stachus to Marienplatz) or Maximilianstraße and the area just north of Marienplatz.

If you want a mall, I'd recommend the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum. The subway stop is right next to it.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 03:32
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
241 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on travel planning

Thank you so much for your comments. After looking just a little at hotel prices in Munich I'm definitely convinced we want to get out of town. Our plane gets in at 10am and I'm hoping we can catch a train at 12:04 which should get us to Salzburg at 14:42. (and there's another train one hour later just in case we miss this one). I think we can both manage the jet lag OK.

If we then want to go to the castles in the south I'm guessing we have to go via Munich so I'm thinking we'll do that Saturday. Then we want to overnight in that area. Suggestions?

This still leaves me with trying to find reasonable lodging in Munich for 3 nights. From the reviews I've read I can't find any reason to stay in Germering and I'd hate to have to move again after one night so trying to keep somewhere near the train line (S-8) that he'll need to keep his trip time down to 40 mins or less. Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

And thank you so much for the advice about the bus to Dachau. I'm definitely not up for a 45 minute walk if there's a bus.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 04:07
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help on travel planning

Germering is just outside central Munich and on the S-Bahn line (S-8), so if you stay there, you can easily take the S-Bahn into central Munich for sightseeing. The S8 also goes to Herrsching, which is on the Amersee (lake). That is a neat area - great for exploring. If either of you are fans of beer or roccoco churches, the Andech's Monastery is just outside of Herrsching and makes a great visit. Or you can stay in central Munich and your husband can take the S-Bahn to Germering for his meetings. Munich public transportation is great.

In Munich itself, there is plenty to do and see. There are several great churches, the beer gardens and beer halls, a great foodie market just south of the main square, art museums, the Residenz and the Nymphenburg palace, the English garden...on and on. Just depends on what you like to do.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help on travel planning

We stayed at the Motel One Sendlingertor on our last visit to Munich. It is about a 5 minute walk from the Karlsplatz station, which is served by the S8. All central stations are served by all S-Bahn lines. This hotel is also about 10 minutes from Marienplatz and in a good neighborhood with plenty to see. We liked the location very much.

Here is a link with some maps that are helpful in understanding the system:

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,365 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help on travel planning

> There also is a connection with ALEX, that's an Austrian train that's like the ICE

You mean the railjet trains of ÖBB (showing up in the DB timetable as product RJ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railjet

The ALEX (product ALX) trains are regional trains and thus covered by a Bayern Ticket. And while they serve routes from Munich, not the one to Salzburg.

www.alex.info/de/fahrplan/streckennetz/

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
241 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help on travel planning

Thanks all again. I found a very discounted rate for the Sheraton Westpark for the three nights and the trip for him will be less than 30 mins so I booked that.

Can you tell me whether there are ATM's at the airport and if so where? We will be arriving on Lufthansa and obviously will be heading to the train station. Also what type of tickets do I buy to get to Salzburg and where do I buy those? Do I need cash for that or will the machines take US credit cards?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help on travel planning

Yes, there are ATMS at the airport - I don't know exactly where, but I have never really had to look for them. I usually spot one as soon as I have left customs and immigration.

Looks like the best routing for Salzburg is to take the S-Bahn (Munich city train) from the airport to Munich-Ost station. Then take the Regional Express onto Salzburg. This can all be done with a Bayern Ticket, which is like a mini railpass valid for the state of Bavaria (including Salzburg).

You can buy the Bayern ticket online ahead of time or at the ticket window when you arrive. The machines only take chip-and-pin cards, so you will need cash if you want to use the machine.

9. Re: Need help on travel planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 03:19