We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

Yesterday a new law has been agreed that in Winter anybody caught driving with inappropriate tyres in"winter" weather will get a 40euro fine and 1 point on their license. Anybody caught driving (i.e. with "summer" tyres) in such a manner as to hold up/hinder traffic will occur an 80euro fine plus 1 point.

This is as yet to be included in the StVO (German highway code). A policeman has told me the police are yet to receive confirmation in written form so until then the old rules are in place. They expect it to be in place by 01.12

Hire Cars - Important

A Policeman told me that once in the StVO it is his opinion that all hire cars should come with the appropriate tyres.

I suggest anybody who has booked or intends to book a hire car from Munich airport this winter contact their rental company.

Please Note this is NOT been written into law yet and the issue of Hire cars was the OPINION of one policeman.

It would be interesting the response the hire car firms give re: charging extra for winter tyres when it is likely to be their responsibility and not the renters

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

I can already see some folks going... oh, a 40 euro fine is cheaper than paying for a set of winter tyres... if you are then bare this in mind... if you are involved in an accident in winter conditions and if its not your fault, you may be given fault as you car will be deemed unfit for the conditions. This in effect would kill your holiday and your finances. So dont be cheap when renting a car at this time of the year and insist on winter tyres.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

I am picking up a Renault through their Eurodrive program on Monday in Munich and for all I know it will be unsafe and illegal to drive it out of the parking lot. I've been told that it is my problem if the car is not fitted with the appropriate tyres. How can that be right?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

Uh... that's a leasing program. Similar to a new car purchase, you get a car with manufacturer's standard spec unless you pay for options. I don't know of any car manufacturer providing winter tires as standard equipment. It's either all-season or summer tires.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

Wouldn't mind if they supplied all-season tyres as after all that's what one needs. Just find it absurd that Renault Lease program would supply a car with summer tyres in the middle of winter that one is not allowed to drive on! Without any option for all-sea on tyres!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

All season tyres in winter conditions are not the answer. you need WINTER TYRES.

Helsinki,Finland
Level Contributor
69 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

Any new info considering this topic?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

dude... what else is there to say? apart from you must have winter tyres in winter in germany?? which part of this is obtuse? sounds very straightforward to me..

Helsinki,Finland
Level Contributor
69 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

I mean If winter tires are mandatory equipment rental companies can still charge them separately?

It is like chargin 5€ extra to have vehicle with seat belts...

Edited: 11 December 2010, 03:36
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

I have some visitors in Munich and they have to paid for the winther tyre extra. The rent a car ask money for this. Is that normal if is a law?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,367 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Important - Hire cars - Winter Tyre law in Germany -

I just checked with the 2 biggest rental car companies in Germany (Europcar and Sixt) and both still charge extra if you rent "appropriate winter tyres" together with your car.

Of course you can wing it. 80-95% of the rental cars have winter tyres on. And they won't remove them just because you did not order winter tyres extras. But of course some risk is still left with this strategy.

> It is like chargin 5€ extra to have vehicle with seat belts...

No. It's rather like that you get fined if you don't use your seat belt. A car without seat belts mounted looses automatically the approval to drive on public on roads.

Unlike e.g. in Austria where winter tyres are compulsory for a defined period of the year in Germany they are only compulsory if you drive with winterly road conditions (ice, snow).

So far the rental car companies have the opinion: The weather (road conditions) are to the risk of the customer, he/she still have the option not to drive around with the car.

And as long as a court won't stop this, they will continue to charge extra for winter equipment. Of course this is in then end simply a hefty winter surcharge.

Edited: 11 December 2010, 04:16