We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like to visit old home

3 posts
Would like to visit old home

Traveling from Munich to Mannheim and would like to visit the now closed housing Benjamin Franklin Village or at least get close to it! Is it possible?

6 replies to this topic
Mannheim,Germany
Level Contributor
70 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Would like to visit old home

The former BFV has been divided, on one side ( where the offices and the school used to be ) a new housing area is being built - Franklin - and the buildings on the other side ( where the commissary used to be )is where many refugees live. There I have seen security staff, but I don't know how strict they are.

On the Franklin side there is also a boulder hall, open to anyone. Occasionally there are theatre performances there, so it looks like the franklin side is more easly accessible.

Parking is difficult, it's best to take tram No 5 to Platz der Freundschaft

Don't be confused by the names of the tram stops, they were changed some time ago:

What used to be Käfertal Wald is now Platz der Freundschaft, still served by No 5

No 4 runs to KäfertalER Wald, nowhere near BFV.

San Antonio, Texas
1 post
2. Re: Would like to visit old home

If you are on Facebook, you should follow the group Army Brats from Mannheim Germany! One of the gang visited this past year and has lots of great pics posted. There's also a guy working there who can "maybe" get you a tour?? They are revitalizing the old BFV for apartments, and I believe there are some Syrian refugees living on maybe Lincoln Street? I was on Jefferson 1969-1976.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
81 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: Would like to visit old home

I was there in April and asked if I could enter. They did not allow it. The old bowling alley, theater, & gym are still there. As stated, the gym is now a rock wall place, but it looks the same. Where Burger King was is gated off as well, the Germans are building in that area. Lots of refugees coming and going.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
81 posts
127 reviews
4. Re: Would like to visit old home

BTW, I talked to a couple refugees. Most are Serbs & Africans.

3 posts
5. Re: Would like to visit old home

Thank you!

3 posts
6. Re: Would like to visit old home

Thank you! After prior writing became Part of the group😀

Reply to: Would like to visit old home
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted