We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights between Frankfurt and Milan

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
2 nights between Frankfurt and Milan

I will be travelling for business in Germany at end of February.

I have 2 days to myself between finishing work in Frankfurt on Wednesday 22/2 and when I have to been in Milan on Saturday 25/2.

I plan to travel from Frankfurt to Milan by train, and am looking to break the train journey by staying in a single town somewhere in between for 2 nights on the Thursday and Friday.

I’d love suggestions on a nice town which I can use as a base for a relaxing couple of days exploring.

I need to rely on public transport.

Would like to see some interesting historical sites, ruins or castles, be handy to restaurants and maybe thermal baths.

Initial thoughts were Heidelberg, Baden-Baden or Freiburg but I’m sure there are some other treasures hidden in between.

I appreciate your help.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights between Frankfurt and Milan

Unfortunately, you will just have missed the excellent Swabian-Alemannic Carnival events which mainly occur in the Catholic areas south of Stuttgart and are all over by Ash Wednesday, 22Feb, except for Basel, Switzerland which keeps an unusual schedule, but their main event is the 27-29Feb. However, nearby Mulhouse in France celebrates on 24-26Feb, so that is a possibility for a good carnival event.

I recommend your visiting and staying in Tübingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) which is our favorite town in Germany. It's just quintessential Germany with its hilly cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, castle, interesting nontourist shops and one of Germany's oldest universities. Make sure to stay in the oldtown in a place like Hotel am Schloss which is just below the castle. I heartily recommend eating at the Weinstube Forelle with its excellent food in traditional surroundings in the oldtown, of course there are lots more restaurants.

Nextdoor to Tübingen a few kilometers away is the delightful well-preserved medieval Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ). Just another excellent place to visit and our favorite medieval monastery in Germany. At this time of year you may be the only visitor and then no one can interfere with your enjoyment of the place, but at most there will be a handful of others. The very small attractive town also has two excellent restaurants, one of which is Michelin-starred.

A short distance to the south is fairytale-like Hohenzollern Castle ( www.burg-hoihenzollern.com ) which is one of the most meaningful castles in Germany being the family seat of the Hohenzollern dynasty of Prussian kings and German emperors. It is by Hechingen.

I don't know if Tuebingen has a spa, but the nearby lovely mountain valley spa town of Bad Urach ( www.badurach.de ) certainly does.

Tübingen has all you want and more, just an excellent place. All the places I mentioned are easily accessible by public transportation. And if you are interested in cars, Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) is on the way about 50 minutes by train before Tuebingen, with its excellent Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums, after all, it is where the automobile was invented and commercialized.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights between Frankfurt and Milan

As much as I liked Bad Urach, I liked Bad Beuren much better. Panorama Therme. It has a very modern open look, almost sleek, which really appeals to me, esp. the hot tubs on the roof, great views.

http://www.beuren.de/index.php?id=150

www.baederreise.de/panorama-therme.html

(if you go thru Google, you can have it translated.

However,since you are relying on public transportation, you may need cities that are easier for you. Baden-Baden is good because it has great spas. It would be my choice of the three you mentioned,esp.if you want a bit of luxury while seeing sights,

http://www.baden-baden.de/en/index.html

baden-baden.de/en/spahealthbeauty/index.html

baden-baden.de/en/…indexen.html

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights between Frankfurt and Milan

I would highly recommend Lucerne in central Switzerland it's on a lake and surrounded by mountains. http://www.luzern.com/en/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights between Frankfurt and Milan

I see that I made a typo in the hotlink for Hohenzollern Castle, it should be www.burg-hohenzollern.com .

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights between Frankfurt and Milan

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. I am still working on my itinerary and really appreciate your links and input.

In particular Marcopolko, I have already read many of your helpful posts to other members and am very grateful for the effort that you put into so many responses. You make me wish I had much longer to explore the region around Stuttgart / Black Forest.

6. Re: 2 nights between Frankfurt and Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 20:26