We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days

Hi Folks, Just completed the Westweg solo in ten days from Pforzheim to Basel. I struggled to find comprehensive English-language advice for the trip so I'm planning to blog the trip somewhere to assist others. In the meantime, please fire away with any questions! Cheers :)

7 replies to this topic
1 post
1. Re: Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days

Hi looking for some info on the westweg. A friend and I want to do the southern end (stages 7-12) as we only have a week and we were hoping to keep the costs down with camping. Are there campsites or hostels on the trail or will we have to divert to find them and are there many to choose from?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days

Hi Rachel. The Westweg is dotted with towns, villages and hostels (Gasthaus), you won't have any problem finding cheap accommodation. For the last few stages, I stopped at; Schonach (Grubstuben Hotel), Waldau (Gasthof Zur Traube), Titisee (Hotel Neustadter Hof), Weiden (Gasthaus Moosgrund), Kandern (Janz B&B) and Basel (Hotel Schweizerhof). All of these hotels (apart from Basel) were priced around 30-50 Euros, which was pretty good for the standard of room. When planning the trip, I just figured out where I would be stopping each day and found nearby hotels using a generic hotel booking site.

I'm not a German native but there are legal issues with camping within the Black Forest, basically it's not allowed. I'm sure if you picked remote spots etc and left no trace, you wouldn't have any issues but be prepared to make a quick getaway if challenged!

Hope this helps!

R

1 post
3. Re: Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days

Hi!

So my BF and i are looking for some good wilderness backpacking and hiking in april... struggling to find somewhere that is beautiful and interesting, but has good weather in april. How was this trail in april? also i hear that wild camping is a little bit shunned upon in germany... realistically is the trail isolated enough to get away with it here and there.... student budget and all.

thanks so much!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days

Hi Lozzie,

Weather in April was pretty good, I only had two days of rain and the temperature didn't drop below 20 degrees the entire walk. For the most part I had blazing sunshine and clear skies with only a bit of fog when I crossed the Hornisgrinde. The trail is predominantly forestry roads and well-maintained footpaths, a bit like the Cairngorms but covered in trees.

You are quite remote, particularly when you get past Forbach, and I think you could probably get away with wild camping for some parts. I'd recommend the Cicerone book, The Westweg (ISBN 978-1-85284-775-3) to give you an idea of the route, you can probably find a used copy on Amazon for a few quid. It describes shelters, huts and gasthaus all along the way.

Hope this helps!

R

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,820 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days

Note that there can be a big difference in weather between the first half of April and the latter half, so actual dates might be mentioned.

Edited: 16 January 2019, 04:09
Offenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
219 posts
6. Re: Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days

Wild camping is normally prohibited in Germany. The penalties can be very high if you get caught. As these are state laws, the fines vary from state to state. The Westweg is located in the federal state of Baden-Württemberg. Unfortunately I did not find the amount of the fines for this state. But in neighbouring Bavaria fines for camping can be up to 500 euros. With a caravan it can become so even up to 2.500 euro. The height depends on the situation, only sleeping bag, tent, garbage, open meadow, forest, nature reserve, how long etc. In Baden-Württemberg, camping in the woods is punished more severely than camping outside.

But there are possibilities, e.g. you can ask a farmer if you are allowed to camp on their meadow. Private people can allow you to do this on their properties. Some municipalities also grant temporary exemption permits for barbecue areas or similar places. But this is more suitable for youth group events etc.

1 post
7. Re: Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days

Hi there...do you have a link to your blog? Thinking of doing it this year and would be great to see your 10 day route!

Reply to: Westweg - April 2018 - Completed in ten days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baden-Wurttemberg