We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

german rail pass

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
german rail pass

Could someone advise me on german rail passes i will be flying into Munich on 28th July for 2 days and will do some small rail trips

Then from Munich to Salzburg for 2 days also with some day trips

Then from Salzburg to Rothenburg also for 2 days with day trips

My last trip will be from Rothenburg to Frankfurt on 3rd August

I don't know the best way to purchase these passes either in germany when we arrive or if i get them sent to Australia

I would like to know the difference from eurail pass or Bahn pass

Thanks

John

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,428 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: german rail pass

With the exception of outings in Austria and your trip to Frankfurt, all your trips - MUC-Munich, Munich daytrips, Munich-Salzburg, Salzburg-Rothenburg, and Rothenburg daytrips - can be done by regional train with the Bayern ticket daypass - 22€ per day for nearly unlimited travel. You can buy these as you go without committing to a certain number of travel days.

www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

From Rothenburg to Munich, most of the trip could be done by Bayern Ticket as well (Rothenburg-Kahl; Kahl-FRA requires a 7.60€ ticket from the RMV, the local travel authority for Frankfurt area.)

Don't know WHAT outings in Austria you have in mind - but similarly-priced daypasses are available there.

So you need to figure out how many travel days of germanrail pass and the cost vs. the daypasses.

I might suggest MUC-Salzburg-Munich-Rothenburg so that you avoid the lengthy Salzburg-R'burg segment.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: german rail pass

Russ.Thanks for your advise i need to look further into this

John

3. Re: german rail pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 14:16