We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sachsenhausen or Dachau?

WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sachsenhausen or Dachau?

Which of these two is more interesting, realistic or worthwhile for a visit for two people (one is very interested in WW II and one is very interested in the sociological aspects of the Holocaust)?

We want to go to one or both. Are they vastly different?

The info on Sachsenhausen on TA is extensive and Dachau is the one we have heard of since school age.

Is there a reason to chose one over the other? Location? Size?

Transportation? Facilities?

Or is there another camp to consider rather than or in addition to these?

Thanks for any info or advice.

WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sachsenhausen or Dachau?

So, does anyone have advice?

I don't want to offend anyone asking.

I have read the TA reviews on both.

I have respect for these places and the people who were held or perished in them.

Any advice will help.

Thanks

New York
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sachsenhausen or Dachau?

I doubt you have offended anyone. I have been to Dachau and Bergen Belsen. Not Sachsenhausen. I think Dachau is certainly worth while. More so that Bergen Belsen which was burned to end the disease that spread there right after the war.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sachsenhausen or Dachau?

I have asked 2 people who have visited both of these, and both of them did say that they got more out of their visit to Sachsenhausen than Dachau. Perhaps it is because of the fact there are more original buildings left there, or the museum was more informative, or just the fact that the camp was used for so many years after the war by the Soviets. I don't really know. I doubt you can make a wrong decision here. All of the Camps are moving and emotional, sad but important places to visit ,to remember the history of what happened there.

WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sachsenhausen or Dachau?

Thanks

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sachsenhausen or Dachau?

My son has visited both camps on school trips, on an exchange in Munich and more recently a class trip to Berlin. He found the Dachau visit more interesting but I think that had a lot to do with the guide being very good (and the Sachsenhausen one wasn't).

This question has come up before on forum (because I've written the above before!). Try Berlin and Munich forums maybe.

I have visited Sachsenhausen with school groups and once on my own and found it very interesting, to me also because of the GDR-history aspect as well as Third Reich. I have always used the audioguides there, it's avery detailed commentary if you want it to be .

I visited Bergen-Belsen once (with a school group) and while a very moving visit it dooes not have the same impact because basically you are walking in meadows (although the Information centre does show films and gives you historical details)

6. Re: Sachsenhausen or Dachau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 06:16