We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich or Berlin Zoo

Maplewood
Level Contributor
78 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Munich or Berlin Zoo

We are a family of 3 travelling to Germany mid-March and will be staying in both Munich and Berlin. Which zoo is the best that we should add to our itinerary? My son loves zoos, but would like to see one that might not have all the usual animals you find in American Zoos but some unique to Europe. Any suggestions?

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich or Berlin Zoo

I don't think that there is such thing as "animals unique to X" in any big zoo - they have animals from all over the world. I haven't been to the Munich one, but the Berlin zoo has the largest number of species in the world, including polar bears, pandas, and other such attractions.

Maplewood
Level Contributor
78 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich or Berlin Zoo

I'm confused now- I see Berlin has both Tierpark Berlin and Berlin Zoo. Are there 2 zoos in Berlin, if so which one is better? Is it Berlin Zoo that has the Panda bears?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,904 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich or Berlin Zoo

Berlin Zoo has a Panda bear.

http://www.zoo-berlin.de/en.html

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich or Berlin Zoo

I vote for Berlin!!

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich or Berlin Zoo

Yes, Berlin has two zoos, as a result from the East-West division.

The East one is called Tierpark. It is a huge park, more like a safari park with the animals in huge compounds.

The West one is called Zoologischer Garten. It is one of the oldest Zoos in the world (with many interesting architectural gems from the 1920s, when the zoo was renovated) and the largest number of species in the world. It is not a huge zoo, but it has interesting animals, including polar bears, pandas, armadillos etc.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich or Berlin Zoo

Berlin's Zoological Garden is by far the most visited zoo in Germany, Knut the polar bear probably helped some. Munich has to be a ways down on the list. And as zoos like to display exotic animals, those native to Europe probably have a low priority. I know that the Stuttgart zoo has an area with farm animals, some of which are typical Swabian, German, or European breeds, so maybe the other zoos do also.

7. Re: Munich or Berlin Zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 02:17