We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking boots - June 2018 TMB

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
180 posts
49 reviews
Hiking boots - June 2018 TMB

Needed some information regarding the type of hiking boots for this June - 16th to be precise. We have booked a guided hike (8 days) through Icicle Hiking based in England. They recommend hiking boots with ankle support. I am not sure I would be entirely comfortable in them and prefer trail type shoes. would this be a mistake? I understand there is still quite a bit of snow. Also, I am getting a bit concerned, how dangerous will it be with snow on the passes and trails? I am assuming the guide will know to by pass the worst of it. This is our first long hike like this. Any info and/or advise will be appreciated!! Thank you so much

3 replies to this topic
Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Hiking boots - June 2018 TMB

I don't like hiking boots, I prefer to have my ankles free, but for snow you can't do without them, your feet would be soaked. Mid-June there'll still be a lot of snow left in the shade with this record winter, in fact it is snowing right now as I write those lines in Chamonix and above. The guide probably won't bypass the snow, above 2200 m it's likely to still be everywhere by mid June, maybe even below that. He'll take you on winter trails I think, maybe give you snow shoes if the snow isn't packed enough for you to walk without them, or crampons. You can't walk on summer trails when there is a lot of snow unless it's a nice wide trail on ground that isn't too steep. Regarding avalanches, spring snow isn't dangerous. It has been transformed into hard snow usually, so avalanches only occurs on very steep slopes in the afternoon.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
180 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Hiking boots - June 2018 TMB

Thank you very much for your quick reply. This is very helpful!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Hiking boots - June 2018 TMB

Whatever you are comfortable in as long as your feet are dry and they have good treaded soles

Reply to: Hiking boots - June 2018 TMB
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chamonix
Recent Conversations