We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The question is always the weather

Gaithersburg, MD
12 posts
Save Topic
The question is always the weather

Due in Chamonix next weekend and I am a bit nervous about the weather. I understand it's only the forecast and things could change wildly but the current weather forecast reads thunderstorms leading towards that weekend (https:/…FR), and I am afraid the trails will be muddy with all the snow melting. How are the trails right now? My original plan was to do a full day hike on Grand Balcon trail connecting to Lac Blanc trail, then coming back a bit down to La Flegere to take the cable car down to town. But if those trails are too muddy, I may have to change the plan.. But I figure Lac Blanc trail should be in a better condition, in terms of muddiness, since it's higher in altitude? Then perhaps I can just to Lac Blanc instead of the full hike up. Appreciate the comments.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Lac Blanc
Lac Blanc
392 Reviews
Chamonix, France
7 replies to this topic
Gaithersburg, MD
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The question is always the weather

Ah, I just read another post on Lac Blanc trails and it's conditions. My question still stands for Grand Balcon trail though. Perhaps a lower elevation might have helped on the trail condition?

Mentioned in this post
Lac Blanc
Lac Blanc
392 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The question is always the weather

Hi zizzy80,

The cable cars are currently closed for access to the Grand Balcon. Two weeks ago the Petit Balcon Nord (on the other side of the valley) had lots of fallen trees and snowy patches on the trail. I can't speak for the higher trail, but there will certainly be a lot of snow left up there.

You could contact the Office de Haute Montagne for the latest conditions when you get here: https://www.chamoniarde.com/en/.

Hope that helps!

www.chamonixallyear.com

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The question is always the weather

You don't hike in May on those trails, especially with the snowy winter we've just had. You need snowshoes and proper equipment, to check the avalanche warnings and to hike on winter trails.

I haven't been to Lac Blanc in Spring, but at 2350 m high, it usually means it's frozen until June. This year it might even be July.

Mentioned in this post
Lac Blanc
Lac Blanc
392 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Gaithersburg, MD
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The question is always the weather

Ah, with only one day, well, one and a half day at Chamonix, I wonder what I can do to make the most out of my too short visit. If cables cars aren't operating and no trails available for self-hike, I wonder what my options could be.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The question is always the weather

Hi zizzy80,

The Aiguille du Midi cable car and Montenvers train are open for sightseeing, and there are walking trails accessible in the bottom of the valley.

Hope that helps!

www.chamonixallyear.com

Mentioned in this post
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
5,942 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The question is always the weather

AIguille du Midi is open yeah. The months of April/May and November are the worst for hiking. In winter you can ski or snowshoe, and June to October you can hike on foot. April/May has hard compacted snow that often requires both snowshoes and crampons, and you to know what you're doing (short of hiring a guide). November sees the first snows and there can be ice on summer trails, crampons are often needed. So that's why in those months it's so cheap to get a room in Chamonix.

Mentioned in this post
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
5,942 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Nahariya, Israel
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: The question is always the weather

I will be doing the TMB starting June 15.

I aqm concerned about the trials condition.

Can I get advice regarding Equipment?

Reply to: The question is always the weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted