We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternate routes to Lac Blanc hike instead of Flegere?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Alternate routes to Lac Blanc hike instead of Flegere?

I'll be in Chamonix in late May and I want to do the hike to Lac Blanc. However, it looks like the Flegere cable car isn't open until June. From what I understand, there are some alternate routes to get to the lake. What would be quickest way there? I did some research and it looks like you can go to Argentiere and there is a route that leads to Lac Cheserys and Lac Blanc from the town. Would this be the best way to get there?

5 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Alternate routes to Lac Blanc hike instead of Flegere?

How well equipped will you be? There could well be quite a lot of snow still around, thawing during the day and freezing again at night and treacherous to walk on without crampons (and an ice axe in case you slip). Lac Blanc didn't get its name for being snow-free and I have hiked past it in mid-July having to cross a sloping packed-snow field - which wasn't funny, particularly as the day time temperature down in Chamonix had topped 30 degrees for the preceding 10 days.

Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
233 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Alternate routes to Lac Blanc hike instead of Flegere?

Hi Faiyaz A,

becasse is right, there is still going to be a lot of snow on the route to the Lac Blanc at the end of May. You would need to be well-equipped to deal with it.

You can contact the Office de Haute Montagne if you are looking for advice about other walks or hikes which might be more accessible at the moment. https://www.chamoniarde.com/en/

Hope that helps!

www.chamonixallyear.com

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Alternate routes to Lac Blanc hike instead of Flegere?

Thanks for the advice everyone! Lac Blanc will have to wait for another day as we're not coming with any equipment.

Another alternate hike we were looking at is the Grand Balcon du Nord. Would that be more doable in May or would there be too much snow as well?

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Alternate routes to Lac Blanc hike instead of Flegere?

I would say it is unlikely to be snow free it faces north so looses it’s snow more slowly than the Lac Blanc side , which faces south.

There are plenty of walks on the valley floor.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Alternate routes to Lac Blanc hike instead of Flegere?

Thank you redzed. Any suggestions for valley floor walks with the best views of the surrounding mountains?

Reply to: Alternate routes to Lac Blanc hike instead of Flegere?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chamonix
Recent Conversations