We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike from Plan d'Aguille to Montenvers

Boston
Level Contributor
713 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Hike from Plan d'Aguille to Montenvers

Have booked 2 nights in the hotel in Montenvers/Mer De Glace for early July and had a few questions.

Since I need to use the train to reach the hotel and a train to leave the hotel ; it seems a 3 day unlimited pass will be cheaper than buying individual tickets and on the full day we have was planning on taking the Aiguille du Midi lift.

On that full day was thinking we could leave the hotel after breakfast take the train down to town, walk through town a bit, take the Aiguille du Midi up to the top (think no matter the weather we would try it since would be our only day possible) ; if a nice day though might also do the extra cost lift over to Italy and return same lift as well.

I believe with a 3 day unlimited pass I can reserve a time and date slot up?

Is the pass something I can buy online and print at home so I will have it to first reach our hotel or could pickup at the Mer De Glace lift/train station in Chamonix?

(on arrival to town we may be coming in close to the last train up at 16:00 ; so a little nervous if we have to go elsewhere for the pass)

Then after the top, get off at the mid-point and walk/hike back to our hotel at Montenvers.

Don't have to worry about catching the last train down to Chamonix since we are staying up there.

While I am a hiker ; my wife really is not. A leisurely nature walk is about her speed or interest level. We will also have our 5 year old daughter with us.

My daughter is very cautious so don't have fear of her walking off trail or anything like that but it may be more strenuous than she can handle.

Assuming none of us are showing the effects of Altitude sickness is this a very safe walk/hike to make around timing of 4th of July?

We have been at heights before at various places without issues and did some trail walking in the Dolomites also with our daughter.

At this mid-level will snow be around but no longer on the popular trail?

Is it more of a mountain hike ; fine with me but not my wife and daughter?

Lastly at Mer De Glace, the lift down to the glacier closes quite early ; I believe 15:00 ; since we are staying overnight we will be there hours after that before darkness can I walk/hike safely down to the glacier and enter inside after the glacier lift is closed? That question is not for wife and daughter just me. I was hopeful to do this on the day we arrive after check-in.

Mentioned in this post
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
6,119 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
5 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike from Plan d'Aguille to Montenvers

To clarify: at the bottom of my post when I refer to the Glacier I meant the Ice Caves not the actual Glacier.

Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike from Plan d'Aguille to Montenvers

Hi MattCarib,

Lucky you, staying at the Montenvers hotel!

A 3-day unlimited Mont Blanc Multipass will certainly be more convenient for what you are hoping to do.

On your full day and assuming you are blessed with good weather, you would be better off walking straight to the Aiguille du Midi from Montenvers train, rather than walking through town. The Aiguille du Midi is very popular and has big queues when the weather is good, so you should aim to get there as early as possible.

Bear in mind that the Panoramic cable car towards Italy is likely going to be closed all summer due to damage in the winter - more info: https:/…10156360624342453.

You will be able to collect your pre-booked lift pass at the Montenvers train station.

There's a good description of the route for the hike from Plan de l'Aiguille to Montenvers here, which should help to inform your decision on whether to do it with your wife and daughter: https://www.chamonet.com/walking/routes/gran…

If you decide not to do the hike, the afternoon would be a better time to explore Chamonix town centre, after you have visited Aiguille du Midi.

I can't advise on the out of hours access to the Mer de Glace ice cave.

Hope that helps!

www.chamonixallyear.com

Mentioned in this post
Mont Blanc
Mont Blanc
1,261 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
6,119 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Boston
Level Contributor
713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike from Plan d'Aguille to Montenvers

Thank you

Yes bit of a splurge to stay there but seems like such a unique opportunity

No regrets on booking it but didn’t think things shut down so early (7th of July the hours improve a bit but that is just after our stay). I plan on some solo hiking and will be nice when the place empties out, even nicer if I can access the ice cave as well.

Thought about the walk that way seems better for many different reasons other than the fact is 500m uphill overall instead of downhill and with me questioning wife and daughters willingness to tag along am better off with the downhill direction

Have looked at pictures and the trail looks tame enough for sure but wasn’t sure if there are any scrambling type sections or all just a nicely groomed trail.

Shame about the lift over to Italy ; the link you posted did not work for me

Guess I will look into that mid June to see if operational ; not a must do for us so fine either way

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike from Plan d'Aguille to Montenvers

Hi again MattCarib,

Sorry that link didn't work. I can't find another up-to-date one, but this one covers the damage which happened in the winter - https://www.chamonet.com/news/serious-damage…

In both directions, you will have a steep climb to the top of Signal Forbes, close to the Montenvers station. The views from the top are breathtaking, but you will have to climb up steep switchbacks - https:/…signal-forbes.

Hope that helps!

www.chamonixallyear.com

Boston
Level Contributor
713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike from Plan d'Aguille to Montenvers

Thanks again for your help!

Yeah I did some googling as well and looks like it will be closed all summer.

Too bad but is what it is ; gives us more time for that hike!

I see what you mean for Signal Forbes and the way that avoids that are not recommended for my situation either. I will convince them to do it and just make sure we have water with us. I can always carry my daughter if need be.

Only staying 2 nights but plan on doing photography up there at odd hours so likely will be making the climb up to Signal Forbes by myself a handful of times.

Reply to: Hike from Plan d'Aguille to Montenvers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted