We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking - Day Walks

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking - Day Walks

Hey,

We have around 2 days in Annecy and along with stroll on the city, we also want to do some Hiking (Day Walks).

We don't have a car, so all hikes will have to start from Annecy - or, start from a spot a bus can take us in and out :-)

Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

There is bus service all around the lake and a shuttle boat that serves all the towns on the lake so you don't need to start your hike out of Annecy. There are probably hundreds of hikes you can do within a few kilometers of the lake.

A general tip would be to go to a bookstore or a magazine/newspaper store (called "Presse") when you arrive and you'll find loads of books, pamphlets, brochures and maps about hikes around Annecy. When you find something that interests you then you can ask at the tourist office how you might get there by bus or the shuttle boat. You'll find hikes for every ability whether you want something easy or something a little more challenging.

Let me give you a specific example. I just came back from a two week vacation on the lake and when I arrived I went to the local tourist office in the town of Saint-Jorioz and bought a small booklet detailing what were described as the 15 best walks around the lake of Annecy. I don't know how true this claim is but my I and my wife (who is not what I would call sporty or athletic) did three of four of these walks and enjoyed them all. If you are interested the booklet is called:

Special Edition: Walks and Treks, The 15 best walks around the lake of Annecy. The author is Jean-Pierre Vinadia.

A hike that we really enjoyed that is accessible by bus or the boat from Annecy starts in the town of Saint-Jorioz and takes you through beautiful alpine pasture and forest plus some typically alpine villages and offers gorgeous scenery and views. It was walk number 9 called The Laudon Circuit and takes about 4 hours to do.

Here is a link to the bus that runs from Annecy to Saint-Jorioz:

lac-annecy.com/galerie/…crolard_L52.pdf

I mentioned this just to give you a specific example and instructions but the possibilities are endless so follow my tips and once you get there you'll find out much more.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

Thanks for the answer! :-)

I googled on the hike a bit and found this:

www.sblanchard.us/2007France/walk_9.htm

Seems like the hike starts on Saint Jorioz City Center, which is what we looked for. We hoped to find a hike with a climb (to see the lake from above), but most of the walks starts out of no where except this one :-(

Oh well, I hope at least there is a bus to Forclaz :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

Google is wonderful. That is the exact page from the book I have so if you print that you don't even need to spend money on the book (which only cost 6.50€). You will have a climb on that hike and you will also see the lake from above. We loved that hike. I'm sure there are other walks where you can see the lake from above that would also originate on a bus route but they may be more challenging. The topography just above Saint-Jorioz is great because it elevates you without being too steep or mountainous, unlike some other hikes where you could see the lake from above.

You might also search for hikes that originate in Talloires. The cutest village on the lake with topography above the village that is not too steep and would allow a view over the lake. If you can get to the top of the Semnoz Plateau there is a very easy hike there on the plateau and the views were some of the most awe inspiring I've ever seen in my life. The hike is easy and perhaps not what you want but the views are incomparable. This was hike number 1 in the book and is simply titled "The Semnoz Plateau". You've only got two days there anyway so you've got little time for more than one or two hikes.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 01:00
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

Ermm, Actually - we have 2.5 days, so we can probably manage to do "The Semonza Plateau" on the half day, as it seems to be quite easy.

Do you happen to know if there is a public transport from annecy to Talloires? Is it far to walk from the Bus station (if any) to the hike starting point? (as you said its a small town..)

Edited: 09 September 2011, 02:42
Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

Here is the link for the bus from Talloires to Annecy. You can also take the shuttle boat.

talloires-lac-annecy.com/docs/…1266248622.pdf

I don't know which hike you are referring to that originates in Talloires so have no idea how close it may be to the bus stop. Are you referring to hike number 7, Angon Waterfall? Regardless, Talloires is a small town so whatever hike starts there can't be too far from the bus stop. Keep in mind that all the towns on the lake (and any touristy town in France) has a tourist office so you can always check in for advice.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you. I was sure the Semnoz Plateau walk starts from Talloires :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

The Semnoz Plateau walk starts from the top of a mountain (Cret de Châtillon) so I'm not sure how you might get there by public transport. You could ask at the Annecy tourist office if there is public transport there, or perhaps some sort of private shuttle/taxi service.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

Just came back, sorry for the late reply. Just wanted to say thank you very much, it was very helpful :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

I'm happy to have been helpful and I hope you enjoyed your walks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking - Day Walks

Do you need hiking boots for these walks or are cross trainers/runers/ athletic shoes - whatever they are called in your local parlance suitable?

Get answers to your questions about Annecy
Recent Conversations