We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matisse chapel

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
180 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
Matisse chapel

One of the main reasons for my trip to south of france in July is to see this chapel. There will be two of us going. Do I need to book tickets in advance?

Many thanks

7 replies to this topic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,806 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matisse chapel

It was only necessary to book for groups, imagine it’s still the same; no doubt tplus, a regular on the forums who lives at Vence will be along to clarify soon.

Mentioned in this post
Vence
Vence
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matisse chapel

Errrr, well, yes, I've been there. Once, a few years ago, or so. The correct name is "Chapelle du Rosaire", btw.

You don't have to reserve tickets, just show up. Note the - a bit strange - opening hours:

chapellematisse.com/FR/horaires-visite-chape…

It's quite nice but hardly spectacular. Next to it (a bit lower) is Vence's best restaurant, starred "Bacchanales", also well decorated and with a nice garden. Would go together well:

http://www.lesbacchanales.com

Anyone who is interested in modern art has to visit the Fondation Maeght in Saint-Paul. There I've been 10 times, or so.

Mentioned in this post
Chapelle du Rosaire
Chapelle du Rosaire
494 Reviews
Vence, France
Fondation Maeght
Fondation Maeght
1,223 Reviews
St-Paul-de-Vence, France
Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matisse chapel

The chapel was created by Matisse at the very end of his life and, so long as you know what to expect, you shouldn't be disappointed. I'm sure there are better ways of putting it but I'd say it's shapes and colours which predominate rather than pictorial art. Speaking personally, I find the story behind its creation quite moving. If you are coming by car, it's worth checking on the location of the local car parks which are located towards the town centre. Should you use them, you'll have a more or less level walk of several hundred metres. Otherwise, if you're very lucky, there's street parking on the Avenue Henri Matisse outside the chapel.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matisse chapel

"Quite nice," is it? How about marvelous, compelling, beautiful. The adjacent house is now an excellent museum detailing the conception of the chapel by Matisse and his journey to complete the project. There are quite a few photos as well as priestly garments designed by Matisse on display. Anyone interested in art and architecture will find much to study and enjoy. Just being in the chapel and seeing the altar bathed in light from the stained-glass windows is an experience I won't forget..

Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Matisse chapel

I felt not too impressed but tastes are different. As said - quite nice and worth a visit.

I am an atheist, but my favoured chapel on the Cote d'Azur is "Notre Dame de la Vie" in Mougins. No modern art, except that it's right next to Picassos villa.

Mentioned in this post
Mougins
Mougins
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Matisse chapel

I have to agree with Catullus, I found the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence one of the most beautiful and spiritual (despite not being a religious person) works of art/architecture I’ve ever seen. As suggested above you can just get tickets as you arrive without issue, due to the unusual opening hours it is still quite a “hidden gem” on the Côte d’Azur.

Mentioned in this post
Chapelle du Rosaire
Chapelle du Rosaire
494 Reviews
Vence, France
Vence
Vence
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Matisse chapel

My favorite in the area is somewhat hidden in Saint-Paul de Vence – Folon’s Chapelle des Penitents Blanc. It features a mosaic of over 1 million tiles. Beautiful...

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Paul de Vence
Saint-Paul de Vence
2,943 Reviews
St-Paul-de-Vence, France
Reply to: Matisse chapel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vence