We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in south of france

orlando
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in south of france

My girlfriend and i will want to travel to the south of France for 4 days end of July first week in August to celebrate her 40th bday. We like scenic view, small towns, good restaurants and beach. She definitely wanted to spend her birthday in St Trope z . We are looking a central place to stay where we can do day trips to different towns in south of France. We were told Nice would be a good place to stay were are just not sure where in Nice is a good location. Thank you for you suggestions

21 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,809 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in south of france

Will you have a car? This is key.

Nice is not a good location since you’re looking for a smaller village. It’s a big, busy, active but beautiful city.

With a car you’ll have dozens of good options for a base. Smaller villages and towns like Biot, Cagnes,

By train look at Antibes or Villefranche Sur mer or Juan les pins. I recommend spending the night in st Tropez.

Edited: 01 February 2018, 12:48
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,109 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in south of france

Doby is right.

With 4 days you need to scale back.

Nice, Villefranche and Antibes are somewhat "central."

St Tropez is not central at all.

It takes half a day to get there and a half a day back from Nice.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in south of france

It's true St Tropez will take a full day out of your 4 days. You can take a day cruise from Nice but personally I would stick to the "classic" Riviera from Cannes to Menton including Antibes, Villefranche, Nice and Monaco. All these are minutes apart by car or better still the commuter train which runs 2 or 3 times an hour. Plenty enough to see and do and just as scenic as St Tropez which unfortunately is nowadays more of a "brand" than anything else.

Ed

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in south of france

Also remember that it is peak holiday season and getting anywhere near St Tropez by road is going to be a nightmare!

orlando
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in south of france

Thank you for you suggestions. We are considering renting a car I just don't know how easy it is to get around and I don't want to loose time getting lost or looking or stuck in traffic. How much can a car rental cost per day? But I have been told that renting a car would be a good idea because we can visit small traditional villages in the outer skirts. any suggestions? Also does anyone have suggestions on hotels in St. tropez and Nice we are looking for a villa,chateau kind of hotel more traditional but with all the amenities. We are also interested in visiting a winery does anyone know what are they located or village. Thank you in advance.

Edited: 02 February 2018, 01:00
Nice, California
Level Contributor
367 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in south of france

If you do go to St. Tropez, le Chateau de la Messardiere was quite nice, but perhaps pricey (and arguably, overpriced). A bit out of town, in the hills, not the beach (but with a shuttle to the private beach). A car is required, and as noted, late July is peak. There are wineries in this region, as well, with rose the main attraction.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,026 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in south of france

When you consider a hotel in St. Tropez end July the cost of the rental car won't be an issue.

Traffic to/from Saint-Tropez has eased A LOT. Used Google live traffic.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,109 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in south of france

Traffic and parking along the Cote d'Azur at the time that you want to visit can be a nightmare.

Your visit is so short to begin with, do you want to spend a bunch of it in gridlock?

I'd go back to the drawing board and make your short trip as simple as possible.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in south of france

"We like scenic views, small towns, good restaurants and beach." Villefranche fits your description and is very well located. You can use the train for the other coastal towns and the bus for perched villages like Eze, Biot, and St. Paul de Vence. An occasional Uber works as needed. Agreed with the others to skip St. Tropez this trip since it is so far.

My list of reasons to use public transportation rather than renting a car in the Cote d'Azur: long lines at the airport rental counter, bad rental agencies, abundance of manual transmission cars, loads of Summer traffic, difficult narrow roads, distracting views, foreign signs, tolls, getting lost, electronic speed traps, door dings, expensive/limited parking, parking tickets, proliferation of pedestrian only areas, driving after a couple classes of wine, and overall stress…

Edited: 03 February 2018, 01:40
orlando
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in south of france

Thank you for your suggestions. What I be closer to other villages if i stay in villafranche sur instead of nice. Does anyone have any suggestions of vineyards i can visit during my stay?

Reply to: 4 days in south of france
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted