We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one week in hyeres in october

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
one week in hyeres in october

i am planning on staying for a week in hyeres in october, i hope to find apartment accommodation in the historic centre, is a week too long at this time of the year?

UK
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
102 reviews
1. Re: one week in hyeres in october

Hyeres is one of my favourite places in the world and a week would not be too long for me. You do need to remember though that the weather mgiht be a bit unreliable. Here's a list of my favourite stuff to do in and near Hyeres:

visit to the island of Porquerolles by boat from the Tour Fondue

visit the village of Giens (check which day the market is, afraid I can't remember)

- walk along the Giens peninsula near Giens - I saw flamingoes last time I was there - you never know your luck

- if warm enough, have a swim - I get off at the bus stop la Bergerie and walk across to the beach on the eastern side of the peninsula

- walk all the way up to the belvedere by the ruined castle above the town. on the way up, stop in the beautiful gardens below and around the Villa Noailles

- look around the mediaeval town

- visit the Saturday market

- take the train along the coast a bit to Cassis (check bus times before you go)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: one week in hyeres in october

thank you so much for that invaluable info, sounds exactly my kind of holiday.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: one week in hyeres in october

one more query, i was planning in staying in the historic centre of town, as i thought there would be more resturants and activity at night than down by the beach, would you have any suggestions regarding this, thanks again

Henning, Tennessee
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: one week in hyeres in october

I have spent several weeks in Hyeres at various times over the last several years and I agree it is one of my favorite places. I will visit the area again in July.

The weather in October can be very nice, but could also be rainy on some days. But the typical thoughts on the weather in that area is 350 days of sunshine per year.

I second the views that Porquerolles is not to be missed. Take the ferry in the morning and rent a bicycle to see the beaches, the vineyards, the olive groves, and the lighthouse. Cars are not allowed.

The centre ville area has a number of good restaurants of all varieties. Two of my favorites are La Trappa and La Coupole.

Les Salines are salt marches outside of Hyeres on the way to Giens which are migratory homes to many birds including flamingos at various times of the year.

The sunsets and sunrises from opposite sides of the Gien Pennisula are outstanding and the bay on the west side of the pennisula is known for its excellent wind surfing.

The center of the town and the medieval part are excellent places to walk and explore.

Cassis is a beautiful port village to the west and St. Tropez is 25 minutes to the east. The old town is beautiful and the port allows one to see some of the most beautiful yachts in the world.

Budapest, Hungary
1 post
5. Re: one week in hyeres in october

Hello,

I know that this does not belong exactly to this part of conversation but maybe you can help.

We intend to visit Hyeres in July 2012 with our daughter (in that time 20 months). Is this place recommendable for family with such child and do you have any recommendation for us in general?

Thank you very much

UK
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
102 reviews
6. Re: one week in hyeres in october

Hyeres and in particular the Giens peninsula is a holiday area much frequented by the French, so I should think it would suit you. are you asking about accommodation? That depends on two things, whether you want a hotel or self catering and whether you want to be within walking distance of the sea (in which case choose the Giens peninsula) or whether you prefer to be in the town of Hyeres itself.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: one week in hyeres in october

We have booked accommodation in an apartment in town, listed on homelidays site, as we haven't been i cannot comment on its suitability, but in our correspondence with the owners all sounds good. Good luck

8. Re: one week in hyeres in october

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2013, 19:18