We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tourists encountered racism in Provence / Cote D'Azur?

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Any tourists encountered racism in Provence / Cote D'Azur?

Hi All,

I have just booked two weeks at a campsite in Hyeres, and I have since noticed a number of sources online suggesting that there are strong right wing views particularly in the Cote D'Azur region and racism can be quite evident.

I have read of instances when arriving at pre-booked restaurants and accomodation, these are suddenly "full" when someone of a dark skin tone arrives. Also I understand that people of different ethnicities don't tend to mix.

Being of Indian decent and married to someone who is white and British, I naturally have concerns. Are we likely to encounter any uncomfortable situations?

Please can anyone allay my fears? All I want is a relaxed holiday....

Any honest responses welcome!

London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Any tourists encountered racism in Provence / Cote D'Azur?

I have always found the French very welcoming. I too am in a mixed relationship and have never had any problems in france. Now Spain is a different story.

Don't worry and enjoy yourselves we are returning for sixth time next week - we love it!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,459 posts
2. Re: Any tourists encountered racism in Provence / Cote D'Azur?

Your anxieties are understandable but often difficult to answer for someone who hasn't directly experienced the kind of reactions you refer to. It should be said that there are also many people of Indan decent in France - like Britain France had colonial involvement in India and there are also many new immigrants from South Asia. Relations appear to be very good. From my own observations the main racism I have come across on the Cote d'Azur revolves almost entirely around the relations between those of North African origin and other French people. These relations are often fraught, with unpleasantness simmering underneath, and this whole area is constantly a subject of debate in the press and on TV.

Ed

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Any tourists encountered racism in Provence / Cote D'Azur?

Hi Dusk and Ed,

Thank you both for your responses - I feel considerably more relaxed about our holiday now.

I better start brushing up on my French!

Thanks again, Nesh :o)

4. Re: Any tourists encountered racism in Provence / Cote D'Azur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 12:16