We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer 2018

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Summer 2018

Looking for recommendations for caravan sites in the area. Nothing flash, we’re a mature couple, no children or pets. August for 2 weeks. Electric hookup a must.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Scotland
Level Contributor
320 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer 2018

Every year we go here:

http://gb.campinglegrandbois.fr/index.html

It is about 20 mins drive from Avignon (about 40 mins on the local bus) and in a little village called Le Pontet. There is an Ikea with shops and restaurants about a 10 min walk away (not that far if driving) and the local supermarket Auchan is a 20 min walk (again less in the car) which has restaurants, shops etc.

It's a very basic campsite but there is a pool, showers, washing machines, places to do washing up. Very secure too. The gates are always locked.

If you want more info then let me know. Others might suggest better options for you.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer 2018

I would call Le Pontet a suburb (& not the nicest one at that) of Avignon rather than a village. Given the amount that bringing a caravan will cost you when taking everything into account, wouldn't it be more pleasant and probably cheaper to fly or take the train, rent a car on site and rent accommodation rather than inflict misery on other road users with your caravan?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,203 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer 2018

I haven’t stayed at any campsites around Avignon, but we used to bring our caravan south (without being a nuisance to fellow road-users!), but I think we might have fancied one on the pleasant island of Barthelasse - and used the free passenger ferry to and from Avignon.

http://www.avignon-tourisme.com/campings/~/offres-10-2.html

There are also some campsites friends have stayed at and enjoyed near lovely Uzès, a short drive from Avignon and near the Pont du Gard:

pays-uzes-tourisme.com/Sejourner/Locations-s…

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer 2018

Le Pontet is a suburb of Avignon with massive commercial centres dominated by Auchan and Ikea to name only 2- we use it to do our major shopping before heading back to a true provencal village.

There are lots of campsites in the region (I seem to recall that legally French towns are obliged to provide one) near lovely small villages and prettier towns. So I would do some research on where you would like to see and then look at camp sites in the vicinity via the local Tourist office.

But again if camping next to a shopping mall in a run down suburb of a large town is your thing Le Pontet is ideal

Reply to: Summer 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avignon