We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving around Provence?

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving around Provence?

I am plannng a house and car swap near Aix. What road conditions can I expect? Will it be all freeways and busy roads or will I be able to amble around some quieter roads t see some of the area?

CA
Level Contributor
5,898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving around Provence?

Look it up on Michelin. Everything from freeways to cow paths.

2. Re: Driving around Provence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 November 2015, 01:12
Melbourne
Level Contributor
97 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving around Provence?

Hi we travelled this area some years ago. You can have any option you like. We preferred the quieter roads rather than the freeways. Very pleasant and easy to get around with a good map. Sounds like Michellin is the way to go according to the others.

Enjoy.

australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving around Provence?

Thank you!! I didn't know about Michelin, souonds like a great idea. I'll get on to it.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving around Provence?

I agree about Michelin. You can check it out online at viamichelin.com, a good place to plan trips.

Destination Expert
for Provence
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving around Provence?

Try to find the following Michelin maps [# 340 (Local, Bouches-du-Rhone, Var) @ 1 cm: 1.75 km and # 332 (Local, Drome, Vaucluse) @ 1 cm: 1.5km] befor you go so you can begin to familiarize yourself with the region. Doing so is especially helpful since, when you use the maps in conjunction with your guidebooks you will begin to get a real feel for the region and this will enhance your vacation.

One technique for exploring various areas is to choose a destination for a given day and drive directly to it in the morning - visit the appropriate site, have a wonderful lunch and then slowly wend your way home on small local roads, visiting any lesser sites on the way home.

Hope you have a great trip.

7. Re: Driving around Provence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence