We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Countryside Honeymoon

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Countryside Honeymoon

Hello!

I have changed my honeymoon itinerary around quite a bit in order to create the most leisurely itinerary possible with still being able to see quite a bit. We will be starting in Paris for a week and will eventually end up in Lucerne. After Paris we would like to find a lovely countryside resort to unwind from the city for about 4 nights. We won’t have a car so it would be nice to find a place close enough to a town where we could still venture out with some small day trips. Perhaps a bike ride, or a wine tour.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a place or a small town that would accomplish this?

Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

You need to rethink this.

If you want to explore the French "countryside".....you will need a car.

Rural French public transport is geared to getting French citizens to and from work and school.......there is little consideration given to touristic travel.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
116 reviews
2. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

Have a look at Burgundy at say the Abbaye de la Bussiere (don't be put off by the latest TA reviews as they are not typical). A magnificent Chateau set in lovely grounds

Nice bike rides through the countryside, Near Beaune for a small town to explore not to mention the Burgundy wines to try.

I know before anyone points out that you have posted in the Aix forum but you asked for a countryside suggestion....

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,509 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

A bit off-track but the Loire valley comes to mind. However, you'll need a car.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
565 reviews
4. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

I will second Abbaye de la Bussiere as an absolutely magical place. They host lost of bikers so you will have a nice company. The restaurant is wonderful (we had lunch there) and it is very close to Dijon.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

It is very difficult or even impossible to stay in the French countryside without a car. French public transport is essentially city to city and within cities.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
565 reviews
6. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

Yes, I am not sure how you would get to/from the Abbaye without a car. Perhaps you could rent a bicycle in Dijon or Beaune before heading there. Or maybe look into a bike tour, where a van follows you with your belongings.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
116 reviews
7. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

The hotel will arrange a transfer from Dijon if required.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

https:/…

Plenty of lovely places on this site. I love Grau du Roi.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,509 posts
149 reviews
9. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

Grau-du-Roi between Port Camargue and "La Grande Motte"?

And: Barcelonnette, really?

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Countryside Honeymoon

We also adore Grau-du-Roi! Went there on our honeymoon and it has grown! Revisited last year. So close to nature and wildlife. Very vibrant on May 1st!

Reply to: Countryside Honeymoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence
Recent Conversations