We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home base for 3-night stay

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Home base for 3-night stay

Hello,

In the beginning of May my husband and I will be spending 3 nights of our honeymoon in the Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur region, and are looking to find an appropriate (for us) town or village from which we can make short day trips; we will have a car. We love good food and wine, and are more inclined to have a leisurely meal or take a stroll than visit museums or galleries. Relaxation is more important to us than seeing as many sights as possible. We want to visit Nice, Avignon, possibly Marseille. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home base for 3-night stay

You need to do some research and narrow it down.

For instance....it is a 2.5 hour drive from Nice to Avignon alone.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Home base for 3-night stay

Thank you, @datthecoast! I should've mentioned we are both avid drivers and are happy to make a 5-hour round-trip day trip. I've researched all combinations of distance between Lyon (the city we'll be traveling to and from), Nice, Marseille, and Montpellier. I'm simply having a hard time choosing a charming place to rent a hotel. Hope the added info is helpful.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,860 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home base for 3-night stay

Your question is very broad. Lots of areas would fit.

Cassis by the sea.

Saint Tropez or the inland towns behind it (gassin or ramatuelle) would be midway amongst your daytrips.

Any of the Luberon villages are charming. I love Gordes or Bonnieux.

3 days is not enough to see marseille and Nice, which are both large cities and far from each other, and also see other towns.

You are better off picking one area. Either near marseille or near Nice.

Edited: 28 March 2018, 08:53
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
565 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home base for 3-night stay

Congratulations!

You will need to help us here a bit. Provence-Côte d’Azur is a large area with many charming, lovely towns, and amenities which would suit your interests. The problem is that you only have two days so how far and wide can you really get? I would try and focus on an area where you could enjoy and relax. Somehow a five-hour round trip drive does not sound relaxing :/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home base for 3-night stay

I'm with Anna.

Spending hours every day driving around a vast region (for me) is the furthest thing from "relaxing."

As an example, the most efficient drive from Avignon to Nice is along the autoroute (freeway)....it's 2.5 hour of sucking diesel fumes from the trucks that will surround you.

You are trying to see a vast area in a tiny amount of time.

Provence is not about racing about driving hours every day.

Remember, you are visiting a country THAT CLOSES for a couple of hours for lunch.

The country closes.

Don't try and force an American pace on it.

Choose a much smaller region to explore and do it with a leisurely pace.

Less is WAY more.

Edited: 28 March 2018, 15:36
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,249 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home base for 3-night stay

If your aim is to visit cities a car is more of a nuisance than anything else. If you want leisurely meals and strolls that seems somewhat contradictory to charging up and down expensive toll roads consuming expensive fuel just to spend a few hours in a city where you will pay for expensive parking (when you can find it). Since you will be coming from Lyon (already 2 1/2 hours from Avignon by car, jetlagged after a sleepless overnight flight ???) it would be better to stay around for the 3 days in that area where 3 weeks isn't too short rather than waste even more time and money continuing to Nice. If you had 3 weeks rather than 3 days I would say otherwise.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Home base for 3-night stay

Well said, tradeform...

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Home base for 3-night stay

Use Avignon as a base for day trips to the Luberon and surrounding area - forget Nice and Marseille this trip.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Home base for 3-night stay

Echoing the previous posters: There will be nothing leisurely or relaxing to a three night trip including Nice, Avignon and Marseilles. A suggestion: Choose to tour either along the coast, or inland.

Edited: 29 March 2018, 23:12
Reply to: Home base for 3-night stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted