We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

Hello.

Husband and I are heading to Loire Valley in mid-June and will be in the area from Saturday afternoon through Thursday morning. We are planning to stay in Amboise for the first 3 nights, but then wondered whether worth it to move to Chinon or Saumur for 2 nights before returning to Paris. We are planning to see some chateau, but probably only a 2-3 on the inside, and admiring others primarily from the outside. We also plan to do some wine tasting, eating, cycling, and just general wandering through the lovely towns, their morning markets, and countryside, spanning from Orleans to Angers. I'd very much appreciate insights on whether worth moving our lodging or just making day trips throughout the region from Amboise.

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
Saumur
Saumur
Maine et Loire, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Orleans
Orleans
Loire Valley, France
Angers
Angers
Maine et Loire, France
11 replies to this topic
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

Chateaux that you mention - Saumur, Amboise and Angers and Chinon and Orleans are different enough to deserve to be seen from the inside. Angers for sure but it must be seen from the outside with the fortress like walls and flowers in what was the castle moat year ago. The walls are what makes this chateau stand out. Amboise is a large enough structure and might be considered as necessary to be seen from the inside as much the others if not more so. Chinon and Saumur are in a different category of importance. Settle for one base camp for setting up camp maybe at or around Tours for it does have a central place with access to many sites. For as short of a time period as you describe one base camp should be enough. Depending on how wide your exploration goes I do not think it would be worth your time to move your base camp to another location especially since you are talking about cycling. But that depends on your choice of territory and the chateaux. Country side spanning from Angers to the other sites is not as small as you imagine. Certain chateaux are located on the train line that will take you to Paris and elsewhere. That is why Tours is a good place to begin your planning with access by rail to Paris. Seeing chateau only from the outside does include admiration of the surrounding grounds in many cases (Azay-le-Rideau). Consider those features including rail travel. Amboise does have a central enough position to be included in planning. For size it is like Chambord. Now if you are going to see certain chateaux only from the outside the number one choice should be Azay-le Rideau no questions asked unless you want to see flowers then Villandry should be visited. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Saumur
Saumur
Maine et Loire, France
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Angers
Angers
Maine et Loire, France
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
Orleans
Orleans
Loire Valley, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Azay-le-Rideau
Azay-le-Rideau
Loire Valley, France
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Villandry
Villandry
Loire Valley, France
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
539 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

We chose to spend two nights east of Tours, and then moved to a lcation west of Tours for a couple of additional nights, and enjoyed staying in two different small towns. (We chose Chenoceaux and Azay le Rideau). Depends on your travel style, but to us, variety adds to our enjoyment.

Mentioned in this post
Azay-le-Rideau
Azay-le-Rideau
Loire Valley, France
Burbage, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

We’re here now; and will leave today, after five nights in Amboise. We’re going to Fontevraud for two more nights. We don’t like to do too much on a day either. I’m glad we chose Amboise, Favourite Chateaux have been Amboise, Gaillard (also in Amboise), Chenonceau and Chaumont. I would look at Chambord from the outside.

Mentioned in this post
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

<< I would look at Chambord from the outside.>>

Chambord is my favorite château and I have seen them all countless times. You can see very little of Chambord now just driving by. However, going all the way to the Loire Valley and not seeing the double helix staircase of Chambord, supposedly designed by da Vinci himself, seems almost criminal.

Mentioned in this post
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Burbage, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

@Sarastro, we’re each entitled to our own view. The OP did ask for views, so, one has to assume will choose from those offered including yours and mine. They also specifically said they may drive by some Chateau, which is why I made the comment about Chambord. It is fine for you to express yours. However, to put what I have said in parentheses and say not to visit Chambord would be ‘almost criminal’ is a bit harsh. Each to their own, as they say. Please don’t be personally critical of other TA forum members views.

Mentioned in this post
Chateau Royal d'Amboise
Chateau Royal d'Amboise
4,320 Reviews
Amboise, France
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

teabus - have you actually seen anything of Chambord simply driving by? If you have, I should be very interested in knowing exactly from where. Chambord is no longer visible even from near the parking lot unless you actually pay to enter the lot.

Mentioned in this post
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Burbage, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

@Sarastro, I spent the whole day there, on Wednesday this week. I did not say that I did not go inside. I did.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

<<I would look at Chambord from the outside.>>

This is the comment I do not understand. What does this mean specifically?

Mentioned in this post
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

Thanka all. I appreciate the input about various chateau. Any other thoughts on splitting our 5 nights between Amboise and somewhere to the west? Google tells me that its about an hour and 45 minutes form Amboise to Angers, which is far but doable for a day trip. But, I have never been to the region and so am not sure if Google's time estimates are reliable Also not sure I want to spend all of each day driving.

Mentioned in this post
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Angers
Angers
Maine et Loire, France
Burbage, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??

@sarastro, see what the OP said, and my explanation in post 5. I would not normally recommend this but it is what the OP asked for.

Reply to: 5 days, stay in Amboise and ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted