We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

Little Rock...
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

Later this month my husband and I are attending a wedding at the Chateau de Jalesnes in Verantes. Overnight accommodations will be at the Chateau itself though the schedule anticipates a few "free" days for wedding guests to explore the local area. We do not plan on getting a rental car, but would like to see something other than the Chateau itself. Based on my limited understanding of the region, it appears that visits to Saumur and perhaps Tours and/or Le Mans would be a good use of our time.

That said, I cannot seem to find any resources regarding reserving travel out of Verantes to these locations. Ideally, I'd like flexible and affordable travel methods that I could arrange on our "free" days while attending the wedding. Is my best bet just to plan on using Uber or a local taxi service? If so, what can I expect as a per km charge for that transportation?

8 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

The precise charges for using taxis in France are set by the individual Départements and so vary slightly. However if you work on the basis of € 2 per kilometre for a working day one-way trip (plus twice any tolls and any other charges) you won't go far wrong - the rate will be 50% higher at "night" or on Sundays or holidays. If you take a round tour with a taxi the rate will be lower (since you are effectively accompanying the driver on his return journey) but waiting time while you visit will be charged at around € 30 per hour.

Don't forget that taxis are scarce in rural areas and have to be pre-booked by telephone - don't expect the driver (or his wife who may well answer the phone) to speak anything other than French. No doubt the hotel will be able to help you in this respect. I would be surprised if you found Uber useful.

Saumur, France
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

Hi

We live just 15mins from the Chateau and you really need a car to get around this area, public transport is very limited and local taxis are very expensive and must be booked in advance (but ask the chateau owners to help if you really want to take this route). Europcar is based in Saumur and would be a good option. It's pretty easy driving around here too, not too busy, easy roads. Plenty of chateaux, vineyards, market towns etc to visit, plus you're in a triangle between Tours, Angers and Le Mans.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

A car is a must.

Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

Hi

Perharps writing "Vernantes" would give you more ressources ? Enter : horaires bus Angers Vernantes, Tours Vernantes, or Saumur Vernantes

As other say, as Vernantes is a remoted village, a car would be easier.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,655 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

Or google "horaires de bus vernantes" and you'll see when buses stop there and where they go. Then you'll realize how limited your options are without a rental car. See autoeurope.com for car rental info. If you want the freedom to explore where you want and when you want then a rental car will be cheaper than a taxi.

Little Rock...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

Thank you for this information. After talking more to the bride and reading your response, I decided to bite the bullet and get a rental car. Thank you for your feedback! Now I just need to plan an itinerary in the lovely triangle you mentioned!

Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

In Saumur and in a circle of 20 kms around that town, there are many things to do and see.

Saumur castle,

Brézé castle and his troglotitic undergrounds. (good shoes)

Montsereau castle

Fontevraud abbey.

Villages and churches of Chênehutte and Cunault on left bank in direction of Gennes/Angers

The trogliditics villages of Rochemenier Louresse or Rou Marson and trogliditics restaurants

Mushrooms museum

Tanks museum in Saumur.

At 40 kms :Langeais castle

Edited: 12 May 2018, 15:52
Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car

And I have found busses in Vernantes. Just one very early in the morning, and one at the end of afternoon for the return.

transports-voisin.fr/horaires/5851f22599fc09…

If 7h00 is not too early for you, it would give you the possibility to visit Saumur, and to taking trains, to visit Langeais , Angers or Tours for ex. There are also busses from Saumur to Fontevraud or Brézé, but not many.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 16:03
Reply to: Traveling from Verantes to surrounding cities without a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loire Valley