We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Equestrian Games in 2014

Which Caen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
789 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
World Equestrian Games in 2014

Hi everyone,

About 10 of us are attending the World Equestrian Games in 2014 being held in Caen. The dressage is in the D'Ornano Stadium in the centre of the city, which I believe is near the race course. Can anyone suggest a good house to rent for 2 weeks with plenty of bedrooms and maybe near good public transport, or we may have a car as well.

If we can't find a suitable house we will do the hotel thing.

Thanks.

Lozzie64

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

You might want to look here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VRACSearch?inDay=9&outDay=16&checkOut=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&geo=187182&manager=&searchAll=true&token=78199a0414241d0a97ca9aefbb7a4d19&q=Caen%2C+France&tab=TAB_LIST_VIEW&inMonth=07%2F2011&checkIn=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&outMonth=07%2F2011

You might also want to look for Bed and Breakfast listings here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=&q=Caen%2C+France&inDay=17&inMonth=06%2F2011&checkIn=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&outDay=19&outMonth=06%2F2011&checkOut=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&searchAll=true&adults=1

You are probably going to want to rent a car. Public transportation is not the best in this part of France, but I'm sure that there will be special services set up specifically for the games. I'm actually from Lexington, Kentucky where this event has been held, so I've seen first hand the hoopla that goes into its staging. You are smart to start looking early, and don't be surprised if you see an increase in the cost for lodging around the event dates. Unfortunately, it's what happens when these large events take place, and this being three years out, hotel and rental owners may still be in the planning stages. If you get a reasonable quote, I would act on it right away. Prices will only increase as you get closer to the event date.

If you fly into Paris, I would not drive from there. Caen is an easy 1 1/2 - 2 hour train ride away, and there are several car rental agencies located outside the train station. International events such as the World Equestrian Games game changers when it come to the usual MO's, so I would reserve a car and buy your train ticket as soon as reservations are opened. The earlier you plan the more convenient your options will be. Train reservations typically open 90 - 120 before a travel date, but be watchful that this will apply to the period surrounding such a large event as the games. Personally, I would prefer taking a train to Caen versus transportation that may be set up in connection with the games. It's likely to be faster than road travel and more in keeping with the culture of the country you are visiting. FYI, here is a link that walks you through the train booking process. The specifics, however, may change over the next three years, so keep an eye on things. Nick Booth is a frequent TA poster (sydneynick), and I think he plans on keeping this link updated.

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Consider extending your stay beyond the dates for the games. Normandy is lovely, and you don't want to miss what's there. As you get closer to your travel time, come back for info on things you might want to see.

Edited: 12 June 2011, 01:36
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

I don't know why those TA links aren't live, but it you copy and paste them in your browser, they'll open.

Have a great trip!

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
475 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

I can't give any personal recommendations but you could start with Gites de France and Clévacances - the leaders for holiday rentals in France. The choice will be far greater than you will find on TA.

http://www.gites-de-france-calvados.com/

clevacances.com/EN/locations-vacances-Calvad…

Make sure to specify number of people. I suspect that in Caen itself it will be difficult, but there are plenty of larger gites and houses in the surrounding area.

Phil

Edited: 12 June 2011, 01:39
Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
503 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

Apparently the organizers are expecting around 300,000 visitors over and above the normal summer crowd for the two weeks, plus the days either side, and there is no way that there will be enough accommodation right close by. So, if you are offered a big house now less than 30 mins from Caen, I would take it. Prices are bound to rise substantially as the games approach.

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

Will take note.

We stay annually in a family home in Basse Normandie, so too far from Caen for visitors to the Games to be interested. But I imagine ferry prices will rocket!

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

Hi Lozzie

5 of us from Syd are planning on going too, so will watch your post with interest.

Sydney
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

5 more of us from Sydney wanting to go! I'm sruggling to find how to book tickets to the actual events. Any leads?

Sydney
Level Contributor
789 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

One of the other girls in my group will know about tickets so I will check with her. They have been to the last couple of WEG's. The website is now finally showing the days the events are on, but that appears to be it.

Lozzie64

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

Event tickets aren't on sale yet, but I have been advised that individual event tickets won't be available - you have to buy a ticket that gives access to all events - cost will be around $2000!!! That's according to the Horse Magazine's tour info.

Start saving!!!

USA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: World Equestrian Games in 2014

Hi,

I am a solo female traveler planning to attend the WEG in 2014 from the US....I recently met an Australian woman on an all-day ride in Ireland....I am currently looking for places to stay.....hoping that other travelers will see this post and let me know if I could join your group. I do have some special needs--I have MS and am quite ambulatory, but avoid stairs whenever I can....

It is exciting to see this forum and quite helpful....