We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Paris to Bayeux?

Baltimore, Maryland
8 posts
Save Topic
Train from Paris to Bayeux?

I'm told to take the train from Paris that ends in Cherbourg(I think), not Cains, to get to Bayeux!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
15 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,468 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

Well, you would not want a train that ends in Caen, as that town is before Bayeux.

Get your information from either http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers or www.trainline.eu looking for trains from Paris to Bayeux. The web site will tell you whether you need to change at Caen.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

I travelled to Caen and Rouen by train from Paris easily for than once to see the Bayeux tapestry. Cherbourg would be out of the way. Unless they have dramatically redesigned train transportation in this region things should not have changed in the intervening years. I followed this line three times to get to my destination.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Rouen
Rouen
Seine-Maritime, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,618 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

They have a number of direct trains from Gare St Lazare to Bayeux every day.

Edited: 24 September 2017, 11:15
Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

I think the point that the person who gave the OP the information was trying to make, was that not all the Intercites trains on the line from Paris to Bayeux and Cherbourg run all the way to Cherbourg. Some stop short at Caen.

The timetable for the line up to the end of the year is in the link below and you can see that pretty much every second train finishes at Caen, meaning you have to change there to go on to Bayeux. Not a huge problem, but obviously the trains that run all the way to Cherbourg are more convenient.

sncf.com/ressources/paris-caen-cherbourg_ete…

Edited: 24 September 2017, 11:42
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

Cherbourg is the end of the line for trains stopping at Bayeux. Caen is before Bayeux, so from there either you would take a connecting train to Bayeux (which will probably go to Cherbourg, but it could go to Rennes, Saint-Malo or somewhere else) or remain stranded in Caen.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Rennes
Rennes
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

Bonjour, dnordling,

Use one of the websites mentioned in post #1 for schedules and to purchase tickets. You will see some trains to Bayeux and some that require a transfer at Caen.

The Gare St Lazare has screens that list the trains and platforms (voie or quai) for arrivals and departures. Find the platform for the time and train number on the screen that is shown on your ticket. The train number is for scheduling purposes; it will not be on the train.

MrsJAS

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Baltimore, Maryland
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

Thank you.

Baltimore, Maryland
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

Thank you- yes I see on the schedule some trains stop at Caen. I'm thinking I would want one to Cherbourg and just get off at Bayeux. Better not to have to switch at Caen.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

It's not as simple that. Trains that go from Paris and stop at Bayeux will be going to Cherbourg. But not all trains that go from Paris to Cherbourg stop at Bayeux.

You should check on

www.voyages-sncf.com

To see the details of trains. It wil give the time the journey takes and if it is direct or needs a change. The train that has the timing for you might need a change at Caen.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux?

Use Bayeux as the destination station in www.trainline.eu. As cpmac says in post #9, take the train with the best timing for you. It is not a big deal to change trains

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Reply to: Train from Paris to Bayeux?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted