We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

I will be staying in Bayeux Sept 7-9. I'd like to rent a car to allow me some flexibility to travel to significant sites such as the Juno Memorial and other sites in the area. I have been trying to locate a rentl agency in Bayeux, but I haven't had much luck. Would I be better ahead to take the train from Pontorson (my location before) to Caen and rent a car there and then travel to Bayeux to stay as a base?

Thanks

Any input is suggested.

14 replies to this topic
Grasonville...
Level Contributor
438 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

You will be better served hiring your car in Caen, there are more choices. I know they have an Enterprise there as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,613 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

Note that the Caen agencies close for a long lunch and I would assume are not open weekends although I don't know that.. But there are many agencies close to the train station and it is a more convenient place to get a car than Bayeux. If you will do a lot of driving a car is great, but if you only are thinking of the beaches, you might want to consider just getting an all day tour with Overlord or one of the other tour agencies.

Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

I rented in Caen and can recommend that as choice. By the way, some of the Normandy countryside can be beautiful and if you have time doing a little country drive can be enjoyable.

Level Contributor
1,466 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

There is a hertz in Bayeux.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
1,172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

If you do not care about what type of car you get, then rent a car in Bayeux. If you want to choose a more specific car then go to Caen as they have more cars and better choices.

Level Contributor
1,466 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

I was able to reserve an automatic transmission car from Hertz in Bayeux.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

We rented in Caen earlier this summer and returned on a Sunday to Avis. Even though rental office was closed on Sunday we simply parked car in their lot and returned keys to the lost and found office at the train station. This is pre-arranged by Avis.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

I rented from Hertz. No problems with reserving from their Web site. Have to take a taxi from the train station though unless you want to walk 35 minutes with luggage. Hertz rents out of the local gas station. No issues as long as you have your license and credit cards.

9. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 August 2017, 03:35

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
101 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?

We're driving our rental car from CDG to Bayeux. Two days later we're going to drop the car at the rental facility (I assume the one in the gas station- Hertz) then take the high speed train direct back to Paris. Someone mentioned a taxi, should this be called in advance and how much should I expect to pay? Thank you.

Reply to: Car Rental in Bayeux or Caen?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted