We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2014

Which Normandy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
June 2014

Like many others, I am enamoured with the idea of spending time in Normandy at the time of the D-Day commemorations next June. My partner and I have, I dare say, fallen in love with the idea. The logistics, given the vastness of Normandy and the myriad areas worthy of investigation, have proven to be - at least at the outset - rather more complicated. So please excuse the imprecision of my enquiry.

My initial, broadbrush itinerary was to arrive in Normandy at the beginning of June and spend a couple of days touring the D-Day sights, St. Mere Eglise etc. and then to stay on to see the commemorations on Friday 6th June with a view to then moving base (probably away from Bayeux) to Honfleur for one night and then on to Rouen for one night before ending up with three nights in Paris. It is ambitious but we are both young, mobile and want to fill an itinerary with some of the incredible sights on offer.

My thinking had initially been to catch the ferry to Cherbourg or Le Havre and hire a car for the duration of time that we were in Normandy before leaving the car prior to our trip into Paris. Having seen the expense involved in hiring a car, I am now minded to drive across the Channel and keep my car with me for the time we are out there, leaving it outside of Paris for the three nights we would spend there.

With the above in mind, my questions or topics for discussion would be:

1) Is it advisable to catch a ferry and hire a car as opposed to driving? I used to work as a chauffeur in France and thus I am not intimidated by the idea.

2) Is it simply too much to ask to see the D-Day sights and then, in six nights, see Honfleur, Rouen and Paris?

3) Would the consensus be to have the D-Day commemorations at the start of the holiday on the basis that crowds will begin to reduce thereafter?

4) As opposed to staying in Bayeux/Honfleur/Rouen, I had been looking at Gites de France to see what less expensive, slightly more peaceful locations we could have outside of the main towns. Would taxis be freely available or, preferably, would it be possible to park and ride into the town centres?

5) Any general comments on the ideas proposed would be very welcome. I am having a very difficult time even getting started with the itinerary planning!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2014

If you are planning on going to St.Mere Eglise, have a look at the hotel aptly named Hotel 6th June! It is just around the corner to the main square, near the church and museum. There is a series of information boards around the town which you can easily do on foot.

It would be appropriate to stay there if only for one night actually on 6th June as we did a few years ago. Next year promises to be quite a big event and so you may have to book early.

It is only a 2* hotel but we found it comfortable and suited our need for a basic b & b in the vicinity - about 20mins. from Bayeux for example.

www.hotel-du-6-juin.com/

Edited: 13 August 2013, 07:42
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2014

If you want to be at a or some ceremonies and visit the d-day beaches you need at least three nights. That leaves just three nights for Honfleur, Rouen, and Paris. If you want to visit the British Canadien sector aswell, you you need four in Normandy.

The advantage of renting is that the car is adapted to driving on the right.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 17:14
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2014

Pamjo, thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately the hotel is fully booked that week.

I was proposing 6 nights for Rouen, Honfleur and Paris, not six nights in total.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2014

^^ Sorry, was replying from a mobile device which limited my input. I was querying whether 6 nights would suffice for Rouen, Honfleur and Paris (probably with three nights in the latter).

I haven't been able to locate car hire for under £250 for the period in question which, in addition to fuel costs, makes me think of taking my BMW over instead. Having tackled the Promenade des Anglais and Monaco, I can't imagine Normandy (even in June) being much to compare...

I spoke with Christele at Overlord Tours who is convinced none of the sights will be rendered inaccessible on account of dignitaries arriving until the 6th itself. Has anyone any experience of previous years and thus is anyone able to shed any light? This would have an impact on our dates of travel. Thank you.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2014

Astraeus: have you actually checked directly with the hotel via their email? Sometimes when using the online calendar for bookings, a hotel can show "no availability" because the date you want is too far away or there is a minimum of 2 nights over a week-end. Having said that, I would imagine that next June will be extremely popular.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 09:46
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2014

Or better yet, called the hotel? I can almost always secure a room that otherwise appears to be unavailable by picking up the phone.

Essex
Level Contributor
25,888 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 2014

However, that Hotel, with such an iconic name in such an historic place, likely has been booked out for those particular, very significant dates, for a good year or more....

Some of our accommodation owning members, have already mentioned they are booked for that time already, and have been for a very long time...

You may have a hard time to find anywhere even in "striking distance" let alone "on the spot".... But Good Luck!

Edited: 14 August 2013, 12:06
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 2014

I have found several gites which are available and reasonably priced for the time of our stay. With a car it should not be too much hassle driving 10 minutes out of Bayeux or Ste-Mere-Eglise after spending the day/evening in either vicinity.

My thinking is now to arrive on Tuesday 3rd and spend four nights in Bayeux (two days for self-tour, spend the 6th soaking up the commemorations) before moving on to Honfleur and Rouen. Of the two (or Deauville, Trouville or anywhere in between), which would you recommend for one night and which for two? We have three nights to split between two destinations before moving on to Paris for the last three, or possibly four nights of our holiday.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 2014

honfleur then trouville;

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 2014

Are you recommending two nights in Honfleur and one in Trouville? My reluctance with that plan is that I am coming back on myself to go to Trouville - the idea with Rouen had been to split up the trip to Paris where we will spend our final three nights.