We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

Which Lourdes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philippines
Level Contributor
488 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

My friend just arrived yesterday from Paris and she told me that there will be no activities this second half of December in Lourdes. I have planned and saved up for this Lourdes trip for so long and I hope to see the grotto and see the baths. Will be in Lourdes on Christmas day only. Does anyone know anything about this. Can I still see the church, the grotto,the baths and get the holy water. I can only stay until 4 pm on Christmas Day so I know the procession is out of the question.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

I can't imagine that anyone would be lying to you.

It seems to me that since the so many of the folks who put in so much time attending to pilgrims at Lourdes are volunteers, it shouldn't be surprising that everything should close down for a few days so those generous people can spend the holiest period of the RC year with their families.

Try this web site and see if it's any help to you.

www.lourdes-infotourisme.com/uk/

Manila Philippines
Destination Expert
for Lourdes
Level Contributor
829 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

Since you are visiting Lourdes outside the 'season', there is little or no activity, however the Sanctuaries are open all year round, and you can still visit the Grotto and the Church, and also obtain holy water from the taps which are situated near the Grotto. Although the baths are also open 'off season' I cannot guarantee that they will be available Christmas day.

Be sure to wear warm clothing!

Philippines
Level Contributor
488 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

Thank you so much. We are all looking forward to see the Grotto.

Tramore, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

Yes there are no processions but the baths are open every day including Christmas day and there will be Mass s on Christmas day

Philippines
Level Contributor
488 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

Thank you so much. Would you be kind enough, if you know, to tell me what time we should line up to go to the baths on Christmas Day morning and also what time the earliest Mass is on Dec. 25.

We are arriving around 9:30 PM on Dec. 24, hoping to make it to the procession.

This is all too important for me, to have my husband and my three girls with me in Lourdes, on Christmas Day, and I want it to be special. I have waited all my life to see Lourdes. We return to Paris Christmas afternoon so I want to be able to see and do everything on Christmas morning.

Thank you so much.

Manila Philippines
Destination Expert
for Lourdes
Level Contributor
829 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

I assume that the baths will be open at the same time as on a normal off season day during which is 10am - 11am and 2.30pm - 3.30pm. I doubt if it will be necessary to line up on Christmas day.

By the way, I have left a message for you on your private message board

Philippines
Level Contributor
488 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

Thank you. I have been so busy with all the hotel reservations before this Friday departure, but I'll check. Good to know baths will be open.

Thank you very much and a Merry Christmas to you and to all here who have provided so many information.

London
Level Contributor
265 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

Here is the Christmas timetable for Lourdes.

Christmas Eve

23h00 : Midnight Mass - Rosary Basilica.

Midnight: Visit to Crib at the Grotto

Christmas Day

8h30 : Dawn Mass at the Grotto

10h : Mass - Rosary Basilica

11h15 : Day Mass - Rosary Basilica

15h30 : Rosary - Grotto

16h15 : Vespers - Rosary Basilica

The above will probably be all or mainly in French but I assume the 9am Mass in English will take place as usual in St Gabriel's Chapel (To the lest of the Upper Basilica)

Normally the baths do not open during the morning on feast days so they may only be open 14:30 - 15:30. It's probably best to check when you arrive.

9. Re: Lourdes in December? Is there really no activity?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 18:19