We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this feasible in a day?

Illinois
Level Contributor
19,182 posts
16 reviews
Is this feasible in a day?

I'm planning a trip to the Dordogne, but I am planning to fly into Limoges (with Ryanair from London), rent a car, visit Oradour-sur-Glane, and then drive to wherever I end up staying for the Dordogne part. (Currently thinking Les Eyzies de Tayac.)

The flight arrives on Fri 19 Sept at 14:15, and I would like to arrive at my lodging before dark. (From the internet, sunset should be a little after 8PM).

As I've never been to Limoges, I don't know how long to allow for arrival, car rental, etc, but according to Via Michelin, it's only about a 20 min drive to Oradour-sur-Glane (I assume that goes to the modern town) and then about 2.5 hrs to Les Eyzies. Does that sound about right? I'm not sure how long to allow for the visit. Originally I thought my flight would arrive at 9AM, which would have given me plenty of time, but on that particular day the flight is later.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2 replies to this topic
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Is this feasible in a day?

Yes, it's about a 20-minute drive from Limoges to Oradour. But you're going to have to account for the time to deboard and get your rental car secured. The modern town is just adjacent to the old town, but you're going to need at least an hour to wander around the old town and at least the same in the museum. Then it's a good 2.5 hours, as Michelin says (with no stops) to Les Eyzies, where I would never stay, by the way - certainly convenient, but practically the least attractive town in all of the Périgord Noir. It has nothing going for it except for blatant tourism and is just unattractive (well, that's relative, but given that there are hundreds of more beautiful places to stay, I sure wouldn't choose it). The Musée de la Préhistoire there and the other prehistoric sites are more than well worth seeing, along with Font-de-Gaume and Combarelles, but I would stay elsewhere.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 11:29
Illinois
Level Contributor
19,182 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Is this feasible in a day?

Well, if I allow an hour to deboard and get the rental car (I really have no idea how big Limoges airport is), that would be 3:15, so I could arrive at Oradour at about 3:45 or 4? That would give me 2 hours before I would have to leave and drive to *somewhere*. If this isn't possible, I could stay somewhere closer that night and drive down the next day. I just figured I might as well get the drive over with. I can drive after dark, I just figured it would be easier to find where I'm going before dark.

Ryanair only has one flight a day, so I can't change the flight time.

St Cirq, you're the one that recommended I stay in Les Eyzies on my previous thread about FdG. (Although you did comment that it's unattractive...)

tripadvisor.com/…57799842

Edited: 28 April 2014, 11:45
Reply to: Is this feasible in a day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Limousin