We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critique my itinary!

england
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Topic
Critique my itinary!

We are arriving in Marseillette next Saturday afternoon with 6 full days to explore the area, listed below is the way I plan to spend the time:

Full day in Carcassonnne, will be Sunday or Monday as the Fete is on those days.

Bike Hire, cycle the Canal from Mellow Vellos at Paraza to Homps, lunch then return, around 12km each way i think?

Sete, along the "B" road via Agde hoping to see some flamingos.

Montpellier, highly recommended by serveral friends!

Lourdes.

Scenic ? drive, limoux, Les gorges de Galamus, Collioure for lunch then back along the coast via Perpignan and Narbonne.

Questions:

I know one of the Cathar castles is near to the gorges de Galamus which we would like to incorporate into that day but I don't know which one!

Sete and Montpellier appear to be very near to each other could they be combined into 1 day?

My daughter is desparate to go to Lourdes, my preference would be a day in Girona which should we do?

Am I giving us the best chance to see the flamingos by driving to the Etang de Thau or would somewhere else be better?

I appreciate I am asking a lot of questions but we have never visited this area of France before and we really want to make the most out of our time!

Thanks in advance

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Critique my itinary!

Queribus and Peyrepertuse are close to the Gorges de Galamus.

You'll be driving through Lapradelle-Puilaurens coming from Limoux. - there is also the Puilaurens castle in the village. . It will be a long day if you plan to be in Collioure for lunch unless you leave Carcassonne early in the morning.

You can see flamingoes near Sigean, on the regular road (not the motorway) from Perpignan to Narbonne. There is a bird sanctuary near the African Park.

IMO you won't have time to go to Lourdes which is out of the way.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Critique my itinary!

It sounds like your 6 days will be very hectic - no days to just relax.

It is possible to visit Sete and Montpellier in one day, but it depends on what you want to see or do. Maybe you could get up early and spend the majority of the day in Montpellier and then drive to Sete and have a wander along the canals, an aperitif and a meal before heading home. Trying to see flamingoes on your way to Montpellier way may delay you a bit, but is possible - you would be better travelling along the small roads on the inland side of the lagoon, rather than the long strip along the beach. I think we have seen flamingoes around there.

As for a scenic drive, I would head north, where the mountains get a bit more serious. If you did a circular route via Roquebrun, Mons la Trivalle, St Pons de Thomiere and back down to Marseillette, that would be about a 3 hour round trip without stops. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous and the route takes you up by the highest mountain in the Haut Languedoc, the Caroux. A detour you could make is to take one of the smaller roads going north off the D908 - one of them goes almost to the top of the mountain. If you're good at map reading, it's really worth it.

3. Re: Critique my itinary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2013, 20:34
Get answers to your questions about Carcassonne
Recent Conversations