We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

We are taking our 10 year old to Paris for her 1st European trip. Any reccos on hotels? We want to stay in the heart of the city close to metro and central to it all. Need a 4 star hotel with great service to satisfy my husband and of course 2 double beds. Also any reccos on must see places/things to do with a 10 year old would be great. Thanks in advance for your help

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
672 Reviews
from USD 75.40*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
728 Reviews
from USD 49.10*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from USD 104.10*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,602 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

My favorite Henri Iv Rive Gauche may not be poncy enough for your husband but has a lovely location for a first visit. Do be aware that you will need to book a triple room. Typically they have a double and a single or 3 singles, two of which might be pushed together. THe US style giant room with two queen beds is not the norm even in expensive hotels and you must book a triple you can't just include the child in a large double.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

Can you give us an idea of budget? I'd hate to suggest the Hotel Meurice when you really want just a small family hotel at 1/10th the price.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,950 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

It might also be helpful to know that the hotel star ratings are different in France. The stars are awarded based on amenities and not the level of luxury. I'd suggest searching by price and not necessarily by stars.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

Thanks all for the prompt replies. I would like to spend no more than $300 US per night. Would like nice modern décor and it needs to be CLEAN.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,683 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

No one here would ever suggest a hotel that didn't meet cleanliness standards. People come to the forum looking for very inexpensive budget hotels, and still get recommendations for clean, budget hostels and hostels. So don't worry about that.

I would send an email to the hotel Millesime and ask if their "family suite" is available for your dates. I also like Janettravels44's suggestion of the Henri IV Rive Gauche. If your husband tends to go for the "American" type places (modern, "4 star"), then also have a look at the Holiday Inn on rue Danton. The Best Western "Hotel St Germain" on rue Ancienne Comedie could also be a possibility.

Edited: 10 March 2015, 12:49
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

I can't imagine anyone here suggesting any hotel that isn't CLEAN. You sound both fussy and not up to date on what the star ratings are like in hotels in Paris, as they are not the same as those in the USA. "In the heart of the city" probably means arrondissements 1, 4, 5, and 6. Paris wasn't built up over the centuries with tourists in mind, so the major sires aren't all grouped together the way they are in a theme park. You'll actually have to travel around a bit to get to them all. For suggestions on what to visit with your 10-year-old, you'll need to hit the guidebooks, and your daughter can very well weigh in on those decisions.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

If it is this May you are talking about you are running very late. We made our reservations months ago for this May, as the more desirable hotels book early. I'd suggest you get cracking!

We are more than willing to help, but it would help with hotels, restaurants and things to see for a 10 year old, but it would help if you stated your budget in Euros, and gave us some indication of what your interests are.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,602 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

For that budget the Henri IV Rive Gauche is about as good as it gets. Rooms are tiny. The Hotel des Grande Ecoles is also nicely located and their triples can be larger. It doesn't have AC which is probably not an issue in May. Both of these places do book up though and it is late. There are lots of hotels though and you should find something central.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
535 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

The family suite at Hotel Millesime runs between 400 and 460 euros in May, so that is way out of the OP's price range.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Paris in May- Help Please

What is $300 in real money as used in France i.e. €?