We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Paris to South of France

Illovo, South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Paris to South of France

We are two people planning a trip to France for the first time in October. We will spend a few days in Paris before continuing to the South of France. We were hoping to take an overnight train from Paris to the South of France (Marseille perhaps since we will be met by a family friend in Nimes).

Is there an overnight / sleeper train that makes this trip? How would we make reservations for a train like this?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Paris to South of France

There is no night train: the journey takes only about 3h20.

For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. The discounted prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at en.voyages-sncf.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid the possibility of being transferred to RailEurope, which usually has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Paris to South of France

Yes, no direct night train. If, for some reason, you really want to travel by night:

Paris Austerlitz 21.23

Change at Toulon at 6.44

Arrive at Marseille St Charles at 8am

Another, even more complicated option:

Paris 23.12

1rst change at Chambéry 5.45

2nd change at Lyon Part Dieu 8.06

Arrival in Marseille 9.50

Direct TGV seems to me a best option ;)

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Paris to South of France

I agree, it would be much simpler in any case to travel by TGV (high speed train). if you take a mid-morning train from the Gare de Lyon you will be in the south of France for lunch.

We made this journey last September and caught a train at about 10:00, which was cheaper than earlier trains, and the journey was very straightforward, comfortable and quick.

I would, however, suggest alighting the train at Avignon rather than Marseilles as it is closer to Nimes, and I think (but haven't checked) that you can get a TGV to directly to Nimes which would be best of all. For the best prices book when tickets are released which is 90 days before travel. There are lots of threads on this site which offer good advice about that process.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Paris to South of France

You can take the TGV direct to Nimes. I was on a TGV from Montpellier to Paris, which made a stop a Nimes.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,030 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Paris to South of France

I have relatives with a summer place in Anduze, I would just take train to Nimes.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Paris to South of France

There is no need to take an overnight train.Just take a TGV from Paris and buy your tickets 3 months out from your date of travel to get the cheapest prices - they go up in price as your travel dates approach.

Illovo, South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Paris to South of France

Thank you very much everyone!

8. Re: Train from Paris to South of France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 15:18