We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graffiti in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Graffiti in Paris

Hi guys as a street art fan I'd like to check out some of the local spots that the artists hit around the centre of Paris. I was a fan of Blek Le Rat long before Banksy ripped off his style and I'm not sure if any of his pieces remain? Any ideas?

California
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Graffiti in Paris

Check out day #7 of the Advent calendar on Phreads great blog

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k59795…

She tells about a free app for your smartphone called Urbacolors that lets you track street art, and if you go to their website you can check their collection and see if anything from this artist is listed.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Graffiti in Paris

I feel a link to AnyPortInAStorm coming on....

California
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Graffiti in Paris

LOL Here's one

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k59795…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Graffiti in Paris

I did a blog post on street art awhile back -- the actual graffiti changes pretty rapidly but the areas are all rich in graffiti. in the post is a link to a site on line that has a detailed map and suggestions for a street art walk. I used that for my walk and the directions are excellent and take you m;any places you aren't likely to stumble onto on your own.

my post is:

…wordpress.com/2010/…

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Graffiti in Paris

Compliments Jane. Really great blogpost.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Graffiti in Paris

And here is the Anyport link for rue Dénoyez:

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

However if you sift throught the 7 pages of this link, you will also find a lot of things in Paris:

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Edited: 26 December 2012, 05:35
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Graffiti in Paris

Vandalism is removed by the city within 12 hours of being notified of it, which reduces the amount of graffiti defacing Paris. It also seems to be less popular generally than in some other cities.

A key incident was an invasion of the Louvre Métro station some years ago by vandals who covered the art reproductions in graffiti. The transit authority removed the vandalism overnight and the incident had a very negative effect on public opinion.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Graffiti in Paris

Well, it certainly had a negative effect on you if you mention that incident since it happened 35 years ago, so it is not really relevant to the 21st century. And I'm sure you know that it is the RATP itself that has left the Louvre-Rivoli in a disgraceful state for the last two years, merely changing the date on the posters informing people of when the station will be renovated.

Graphic street art is not to be confused with graffiti in any case. There are plenty of walls in Paris where it is totally authorized, so I'm not sure what you are on about, euromaniac.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Graffiti in Paris

It was far less than 35 years ago, although I don't recall the exact date.

It is not authorized on any of the walls I see it on. If I see any hoodlums form the 'burbs with paint cans in their hands, I'll direct them to your building.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Graffiti in Paris

Okay, I looked it up -- it was in 1992, only 21 years ago.

You don't know much about street art, do you?