We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

We are looking to rent an apt on Junot Ave in the 18th district and this is our first time in Paris. Is it a safe neighborhood?

I see the LAMARCK subway is close by. How convenient is it to get to the main touristy areas and the airport from here?

Also, we were told that there are several restaurants down the hill near Les abbesses. Is that a walkable area or would it be very hilly?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
79,469 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

The area is safe. There are not really any parts of central Paris that should be avoided although, as in any big city, you should be alert to your surroundings.

Lamarck Coulaincourt metro station is on Line 12, which is not particularly convenient for getting to the areas near the Louvre or Notre Dame. You would have to change trains, or take a bus from Pigalle. To get from/to CDG airport, you would need to change trains twice. With luggage, you would do better to take a taxi.

Montmartre is hilly but walkable. It would take about 10 minutes to walk there, or you could take the metro for one station.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

Might not be safe for your bank account. Avenue Junot is the most expensive street in the 18th arrondissement and possesses the one and only polling station in the arrondissement that votes for Sarkozy and his party.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

All of Paris is safe.

The avenue Junot is IN one of the touristy areas.

Montmartre is not well supplied with Métro stations because of its hilly topography, but you're always within 300 yards of a station. The closest station would probably be Lamarck-Caulaincourt, the same station seen in "Amélie," if anyone remembers that film. You'll probably have to change trains for most tourist sights (except Montmartre itself).

There are lots of stairs and grades throughout Montmartre, so you will be hiking up and down a lot.

Junot Avenue looks like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLYXH6fE_rU#t=09m16s

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

I also made a report on the area showing avenue Junot a few months ago: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,466 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

NOT all of Paris is safe. Some peiople have a really hard time acknowledging that this is a real city, not Disneyland, and there are some areas where you don't want to be fiddling with your keys at a front door late at night. Especially not late at night.

I am saying this so that you'll know I am genuine when I say that this area is safe.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22,084 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

a very poncy area of Montmartre -- this part of the hill has a lot of charm -- but the 18th is not 'convenient' for touring central Paris and the Lamarck Caulaincourt line is particularly inconvenient. If you are there for a week or more, this won't matter much and it is a nice area to stay. If you are there for just a few days or it is a first trip, I would pick something closer to the river. My one disappointment when we stay in the outer arrondisement -- which we usually do now -- is that we spent less time walking along the Seine at night -- an hour or more round trip tends to discourage that sort of thing when you get the urge to do it at 9:30

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,487 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

Have you "walked around" the immediate area on Google Maps, street view?

The area is very safe, also very charming.

Getting from/to CDG is more awkward than other locations.

It's not "central" and getting to the "major sights and attractions" will add 20-30 minutes and an extra transfer or two to your journey to/from.

But, you'd be convenient to Bus 80 with convenient connections to all over.

Personally, I haven't the urge to stroll the Seine at night more than once, maybe twice, each visit, if at all. More often, we just take an evening Seine cruise.

Where to stay is a personal decision. Only you can assess the pros/cons for your preferences.

If you want to rush all over from one "tourist" spot to the next, and cram as many as possible into a first visit, you may want to stay in a more "central" location.

But, if you also wish to enjoy a neighborhood away from "tourist central" and shopping for and enjoying some meals at "home", away from all that may be preferable to you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

I stayed in an apartment in Avenue Junot for 10 days in 2011. It is truly the most beautiful street in Montmartre. It was started in 1905 and finished in 1912. It has a lovely curve with wonderful trees and fabulous buildings. It is a residential area. I travel solo and while I was never out late, if I did make a trip to the supermarket after dark, there were plenty of people out and about. On a bench near my apartment were an old couple, with dog; dad reading the paper, mum knitting. Loved it. Visit the Montmartre Museum, which is one of the little museum gems in Paris, for a history lesson on the area and Avenue Junot in particular. Look it up on Google maps. I always stay in the Montmartre area now as I love the village feel.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

Which parts of Paris are not safe?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,466 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to rent apt in Junot avenue, 18th district

I've answered you on this question many times, Euromanic.

Recently Kerouac posted about a toursit being sexually aggressed by a number of men who exited the metro at St Denis, a station I regularly caution against for women alone.

A poster talked about her daughter (11?) being robbed at Barbes station, another area I recommend visitors avoid.

I think it is fantastic that you live in a Paris that is totally safe and crime free. I am often a woman alone. When I was student here, I experienced three seperate rape attempts. My girls and step daughter all have areas they have learned to avoid because its not safe. My step sons have both been beaten up to the point of needing hospitals just for being at the wrong place (near rowdy bars) at the wrong time (2ish). So have two of the teen boys in my quartier.

I only insist because I know it is dangerous to pretend otherwise. Paris is a real city, with creeps and criminals, like any other. To suggest otherwise is to lead people astray. Or worse.