We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brother has lost passport and has no money

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Brother has lost passport and has no money

Can anyone offer any advice to my brother in the following circumstances? I should point out that I am not 100% certain that I believe what has happened to him as he is a ne'er-do-well, but his story is all I have to go on.

My brother claims that he has lost all his documents including passport, driving licence, photos and money. He says he lost them in the Pyrenees. He somehow got to Paris but without any money or ID the British Consulate could not help him return to the UK, so he says. As a result he is destitute and living around Paris but he is desperate to return home. He will have no funds in a bank upon which he can call.

He lost his documents, etc, in September but has only got in touch now, probably because I had previously said I wanted no more contact with him as he went to France whilst on police bail in order to avoid justice. He has obviously, subsequently, failed to appear at the police station. I could not condone this behaviour and so when he told me he was going to do this I said that I did not want to hear from him again.

Can anyone tell me; is it possible that without passport, ID, documents or money he would not be able to return to the UK? It doesn't sound right to me that someone could find themselves stranded in this way, having lost everything, but nothing can be done to help them. I have looked at the passport and British Embassy/Consulate websites but cannot find the answer on there. They do talk about lost passport forms and issuing emergency documents but I think fees are payable and ID may be required.

I am certainly not going to send him any money, as I do not trust him. I would, however, like to tell him what he needs to do in order to return to the UK. If he manages to do this, he will have to face the consequences of his actions (the police will not give me information as to any charges etc; Data Protection and all that). He may well be arrested as soon as he arrives in the UK. He now says he will take his medicine; it is a pity he did not take this approach previously but ran away.

Can anyone confirm that the problems he faces could be genuine and offer any constructive suggestions? Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

I wouldn't waste my time with it, really. But, then, I have a brother-in-law that has hatched similar schemes as this, so I'm a bit jaded.

Good luck.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

Surely the British Consulate when speaking with him would have done some Background checks - wouldn't they have alerted them to the fact he was on bail!

Houston
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

I had a friend who sounds like your brother's "soul mate". No matter how much we love them, we cannot change them. If he contacts you again, you might tell him you will notify the Brittish police and tell them where he can be found. If they want him, perhaps they will get him back to UK.

Stay firm in your resolve not to send him money.

My heart is with you. Experience makes us "sisters".

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

Not British but I had a coworker wo was mugged in Latin America and lost everything. The Embassy made her give tons of info which they validated. (calls to family, office etc.). Took a few days but she got a new passport.

I really think this is what any embassy does. Funds however are not covered

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

How much in touch are you with your brother? My husband received the same kind of message from a friend, who was supposedly in London. Someone may have hacked into your brother's computer and found his address list.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
517 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

I agree with MrandMrsJAS - my husband's college roommate (of many years ago...but they are sitll in touch) sent him an e-mail from Wales saying much the same thing - he lost passport, credit cards and money and was stranded.

We were a bit surprised at him - never much figured him for being a traveler - except to tropic climes. Husband e-mailed him...and wow - was he surprised that he was in Wales - LOL.

I'd be inclined to think it is a scam and agree that somebody was hacked.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

I have heard of this scam. Actually even Rick Steves got hit up, but generally it is not 5 or 6 months after the loss when you get the plea. :).

Paris
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

I also recently received a similar message from the email address of a friend, supposedly robbed of everything in Rome. It was of course a scam. My friend was not even in Italy. The sender's IP address indicated the message was sent from Nigeria.

9. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 March 2012, 08:40
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brother has lost passport and has no money

Actually, if (and that's a big if) he actually went to the British Consulate for assistance I'm surprised that he's not sitting in a jail cell right now. I'm sure the consulate would have found out he was on police bail and have him picked up before he got out of the building. As noted by others, most probably a scam.