We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TGV from Paris to Luzern

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beijing
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
TGV from Paris to Luzern

Do I need to reserve and buy the TGV tickets from Paris to Luzern before I come to Paris? Or I can easily buy in Paris? Apart from railway station, can I buy the ticket in hotel there? Not sure whether I need to buy Paris to Basel or Paris to Luzern since I think I will change to another train from Basel to Luzern after arriving Basel.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
79,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TGV from Paris to Luzern

If you wait until you arrive, tickets might be sold out and you will certainly pay top price. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel. The cheapest tickets usually sell out quickly, and prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

Right now, tickets for Paris-Basle-Lucerne will cost €117.80 for travel tomorrow, or as little as €48.80 for travel in late November.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" on the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has much higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TGV from Paris to Luzern

Grace, Sydneynick gave you great advice. The only thing that I would add is that you should definitely buy your ticket all of the way to Luzern, even though you'll change trains in Basel.

Beijing
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: TGV from Paris to Luzern

Really appreciate the advices from Sydneynick and you. Make me clearer now. However, I'm still wondering about whether the ticket should include Basel-Luzern part since I will have a Swisspass. Can it cover the train Basel-Luzern which I turned to from TGV?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TGV from Paris to Luzern

>However, I'm still wondering about whether the ticket should include Basel-Luzern part since I will have a Swisspass.

The price difference would probably be cheaper than using a day of your pass.

>Can it cover the train Basel-Luzern which I turned to from TGV?

Swiss Pass covers all train trips within Switzerland, so technically yes - but you need to look at what you would actually save by this.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TGV from Paris to Luzern

If you book the Paris-Basel segment far enough ahead you can find fares as low as €25 one way. It is up yo you whether it makes sense to use a day of your Swiss Pass for the remainder of the journey or simply book a ticket straight through.

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: TGV from Paris to Luzern

I choose to travel from Paris to Bern and then stay one night in Bern and the other day I go to Luzern.

I choose to do this because I arrive at 10pm in Bern and I want to arrive in day to Luzern, I don't regret this because I like a lot Bern even I was for only some hours.

The TGV took about 5 hours from Paris to Bern and then from Bern to Luzern it is about one hour time.

I buy the tickets in the website and choose first class, if you are traveling with 4 people choose the club four option that way you are going with all your family in a 4 seating position seated in a group. In the tgv online website you can select your seat.

Also I buy the train ticket from Bern to Luzern in the SBB.ch website, and after I do that I can't view the time I choose in the ticket because you could take any time the train, it goes every hour from bern to luzern.

The tgv trains are cheap compared to the swiss trains that are very expensive.

The tgv tickets I buy online were sent to me via email, then I print them and that was all very easy.

7. Re: TGV from Paris to Luzern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 12:16