We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
219 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

My wife and I will be returning to Paris in May. We have been a few times and I am looking for a few different things to experience Paris.

A few years ago we did the Canal St-Martin boat trip and enjoyed it. I remember seeing what can only be described as very real looking neighborhoods. I had know real clue where I was, but it was certainly pleasant and would like to stroll around there on this trip.

My problem is this. I can stroll for miles in just about any metropolitan area - my wife, not so much. If we can walk somewhere and see interesting shops, gardens, etc. she is willing to go along. So therefore, where should I start (maybe a metro exit) to stroll the canal and which direction to get the "best value for the steps"?

And of course, it would not hurt to stop for a good 3-course lunch with wine. BTW, this would be a Saturday or Sunday.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,304 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

It is my very own opinion. Go to Métro République and walk on Rue du Faubourg du Temple (wher the Habitat store is) straight ahead 'till the 1st traffic light. Croos the street towards the McDo and make a left on Richard Lenoir. Walk slowly and profit from the view (you should have sun on that side of the street in the afternoon)

You can get a nice meal at the Hotel du Nord (there is an old French movie with that name)

Edited: 12 March 2010, 10:56
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

thanks.

Habitat store? and that is...?

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,042 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

yymca is just trying to give you a landmark so you'll know which way to head when you cross the street. Habitat is a home furnishings store in the area--the exact address is 10 Place de la Republique.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

I would also start from rue du Faubourg du Temple (République metro). My favourite part starts a block later, from rue Léon Jouhaux and to Jardin Villemin.

Here is a link to a map: panoramicearth.com/731/…Canal_Saint-Martin

I'd walk on quai de Valmy for most part (look out for fun shops, cafés.. and get on the bridges for nice views).

On the other side of the canal, can take avenue Richerand to Hôpital St-Louis (17th century) and enter its courtyard (don't miss the chapel inside). Couple of pics here: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…A92.JPG

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…A9.JPG

A little farther down the quay, at 102 quai de Jemmapes, is the already mentioned Hôtel du Nord http://www.hoteldunord.org/english.html

Edited: 12 March 2010, 15:07
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

I stayed in that area this past summer and found the Republique metro stop a bit big and confusing with lots of exits..

Of course it depends where you are coming from - but the Goncourt metro stop (line 11) is easier to navigate. and pretty well the same distance as Republique to the area yymca and Inna describe. Get out and walk down Faubourg du Temple (the numbers will be descending) to the MacDonalds and make a right.

raquel

Edited: 12 March 2010, 17:41
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

If you have a map, it is not a big problem to find the canal, no matter which metro stop you use.

I made a report concerning the entire length of the Canal Saint Martin last spring (even to the point where it becomes the Canal de l'Ourcq) which might help you decide what section you would like to see the most:

www.anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

Why not start from the Jaures metro station (lignes 2, 5 or 7b) and walk alongside the canal DOWNHILL towards the Seine? Of course, as was said in an earlier post, it depends very much on where your hotel is and what metro lines are most convenient to you .

Apart from doing the boat trip, I have walked sections of the canal starting from diverse points - even trudging from the Buttes Chaumont via the Place du Co.Fabien and through one of those "very real-looking neighborhoods" - but a stroll from - say - Jaures to Goncourt would be much less taxing.

There are seats and gardens en route - usually on the OTHER side to that on which one is sauntering!

Enjoy your stay.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

"but a stroll from - say - Jaures to Goncourt would be much less taxing"

I don't find find a stroll along canal St-Martin taxing, not at all.

From Jaurès to Goncourt (or République) it would be twice longer longer than what I suggested, and the OP asked for "best value for the steps", but it still wouldn't be very long (about 2km/40 min.).

Edited: 13 March 2010, 01:19
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

Whether you stroll uphill or downhill, and the slope is pretty gentle either way, I would suggest that you take your stroll on Sunday when the area is closed to traffic. Of course that means that there will be plenty of other people doing the same thing, especially on a fine Sunday in May, but most of them will be locals and that just makes the walk more interesting IMO.

A good place to stop and eat and enjoy some excellent and unusual wines is Le Verre Volé on rue de Lancry just off quai de Valmy, less than a km from Goncourt or République. You would absolutely need a reservation for lunch, especially on a Sunday.

…blogspot.com/2009/04/paris-wine-scene-le-ve…

lefooding.com/restaurant-86-le_verre_vole.htm

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: canal St-Martin -- Best value for the steps?

Great ideas --thanks to all.