We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip - usual questions

Belfast
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Topic
First trip - usual questions

Just booked our hotel for next month - the Marriott Rive Gauche. £80 a night on priceline which seems good. The hotel is slightly out of the centre but we dont mind walking or getting the metro.

1. With this in mind, having never been to Paris - what is the best way to get to this hotel from CDG?

2. And if we need to travel on the metro in order to get to the centre and/or sites - should we get like a 2 or 3 day pass? (we are staying for 3 nights). Is the hop-on hop off bus tour any good?

3. I think we are cloest to the Latin quarter, would this be a good place to eat and have a few drinks at night? Any recommendations for decent food, say for less and £50 for a couple?

Apologies for the laziness, I'm sure these questions are asked a lot. But I really appreciate it!

Mentioned in this post
Rive Gauche
Rive Gauche
146 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip - usual questions

Ok, here are the usual answers:

1. Taxi about 50€. If you want to try the RER B to Denfer/Rochereau and either connect to Saint Jacques or walk to your hotel the price is 8.50€ each.

2. I recommend a carnet, 10 individual tickets at 11.40€. Passes are generaly not a good value. The exception might be the Mobilis day pass if you decide to visit Versailles for example.

More information here:

www.transport-idf.fr/frontal…

3. The Latin quarter has good restaurants but avoid the establishments on avenue de la Huchette or any restaurant with someone standing out front trying to entice you inside.

Here's a place I have enjoyed for over 30 years:

http://www.le-temps-perdu.com/

It's a quiet place and the food is usually quite good and within your budget.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Saint-Jacques
Hotel Saint-Jacques
1,028 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Belfast
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip - usual questions

Thank you very much, very helpful.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip - usual questions

Hi -

One bit of advice for your "few drinks at night" - The age-old rule applies - drink the local plonk. If you drink imported spirits, you can bust the budget.

4. Re: First trip - usual questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2010, 16:18