We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Topic
better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

I was wondering if anybody checked the price of Mephisto shoes in Paris compare to price in Canada or the US, we're leaving on the 16th for a week, can't wait!

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

Yes. I went last year and bought 5 pairs. You can get them at about $250.00 Canadian instead of $400.00. I am going again this year and will buy some more.

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

The current price for the Mephisto shoes I wear

is $395 USD in San Francisco.

If it turns out that they are less in Paris and

you buy some, I hope you will put them in

your suitcase and not on your feet to walk

around Paris.

France
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

If you want to wear your newly purchased shoes right away, do it just for going to dinner (if it's close) or a short walk.

Wearing them a whole day, is a definite no-no, as said before.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

Yes definitely buy Mephisto in France and not in Quebec. I got a pair of city shoes at 160 euros in March and they sell at over 350$ in Montreal (plus TPS TVQ).

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

Yes and you get the VAT back...

Why not wearing them in Paris?

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

Yes...they are cheaper. I was only able to buy 2 (luggage limits), and they cost me 49 and 90 euros...plus some kind of discount (can��t remember how much) as their sales were on.

Why not wear them in Paris? I did...and they were great.

France
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

<<Why not wearing them in Paris?>>

That's not the point! It about not wearing new shoes (whatever label) for a whole day on which you're likely to walk for miles. Voila!

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

The Mephistos walking shoes that I have bought were very comfortable from the start so I was imagining all kind of other reasons of why you said that. Like pickpocketer would spot you better because you are wearing expensive shoes or whatever... LOL

I agree that some shoes with harder leather or less cushioning could be a problem.

Mephistos had a dedicated web site last year but it does not seem to be there anymore...

Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

WOW! Michou, where is the store in Paris that you bought the 5 pairs from? Are the shoes current models? Do you get 100% or less VAT refund right away or in the mail? If so, how long did it take to get the refund? My wife just bought a pair on sale from the Berkeley Mephisto store and I was holding out for my upcoming trip towards the end of this month.

Merci beaucoup!

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: better price in Paris for Mephisto shoes?

The shoes in Paris are more up to date than what you would get in Canada. I saw one one of the pair that I bought last year for 138 euro in the Mephisto store in Canada this year at $360. They have tons of other models that you don't get here. Their stores are bigger. The one that I went to was the biggest I was told from the internet. I don't remember the address exactly but I know it was near rue d'Alesia. That's why I was looking for their website where they listed all the places but it does not seem to be there anymore.

You don't receive the full VAT. The store needs to give you a form but I don't remember how much VAT you receive back. It is still quite a bit. You can choose to receive the VAT credited to your credit card and it takes a couple of month after you haved pass at the VAT counter at the airport before you get it back.

I bought 3 pairs for myself and my husband bought 2 pairs.